• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Deciding between Sole Trader or Limited

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deciding between Sole Trader or Limited

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can help me decide between whether to start a new contract as a sole trader or for with a limited company. My daily rate is £140 for a 10 month contract, so £30,800 per year.

Also, can anyone recommend any accounting firms that are used to dealing with programming contracts and can do much of their business online (sending receipts, etc.)? I'm looking to pay around £400 per year, if possible.

Thanks

Hi,

Companies don't tend to deal with sole traders because of the end client's exposure to having to pay NI etc. If I were you I'd be looking at using an umbrella company. The take home is a little less but you have less hassle with admin tasks plus you can always switch over to a ltd if you decide you want to carry on contracting.

HTH
    Last edited by Antman; 13 March 2014, 07:51. Reason: clarity

Comment

At that sort of rate you should seriously consider umbrella. If you do decide to go down the LTD route there are lots of options out there.

I'd be very surprised if the agency would contract with you as a sole trader.
      https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

Working...
      X