• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Public sector take it or leave it rate cuts are back, then

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
    BTW, what's the notice period in the contract at the moment for them to terminate?

Just curious as 5th March to 1st April is 28 days notice, which doesn't match their "standard" periods detailed.
    Depends on the pimp. Mine is 20 days, others have four weeks

Comment

Therefore we have been advised by ONS that all contractor day rates are to be reduced by a margin of 6% starting on 1st April 2014. If a contractor does not agree to this, their contract will be terminated. We have been advised by ONS that this level of cut is being looked at across the whole ONS contractual estate and without this being invoked, ONS would have to look at other more drastic measures to achieve the savings required (these may include stopping projects and terminating contractors).
      Wow - playing hardball there!!!
      "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

They are optomistic.

The number of jobs on jobserve is the highest I have seen for circa 4 years. I would be off.

Comment

Originally posted by 7specialgems View Post
          Pimps 2, 3, 4 and 5 have now shared the info with their hoes. Seems like this is across the board.
          You need to go back and ask them what cut they are taking. Make sure you all do it (or a lot of you do), or it won't have any impact.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

You need to go back and ask them what cut they are taking. Make sure you all do it (or a lot of you do), or it won't have any impact.
            All the agencies have quoted 6%. Looking at the cuts from the other side, it looks like all the agencies are taking a a nil cut and passing it straight through.

I think we're all going to take the weekend to calm down over it but I think the shared attititude towards this is to negotiate the notice down, work less hours pro rata equivalent and be offski asap.

Comment

+1, Agree the pimps should be cutting their slice off the top by the same %age.

Comment

I would look for a new contract as others have said, there is a lot of activity at the moment but it's unlikely to last once the banks start seriously shedding.

In the meantime use the opportunity to reduce the notice period to zero and ask them if they are prepared to cut the work required in a week by the same 6%

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
                  ask them if they are prepared to cut the work required in a week by the same 6%
                  I think we all know the answer to that one, so I predict the belligerent response will likely be work 6% less hours per week, and if it gets questioned, tell it how it is and see if a termination notice turns up.

Comment

I suppose 6% isnt massive but its the point.

I've known a few people in other places where they've said no point blank and client has come back and said ok but dont tell anyone else. Wonder how much of this goes on.

Might send an email to my current client. Due to increased costs of paying for my new Porsche (I wish!) my rate is going up by 10% on 1st April. If you don't like I'll leave and drop you right in it.
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Notice that they want to know by March 5th. Pity - you could have strung it along until the Friday before just to wind them up.

They want it all they're own way it seems.

In reality, if it was me and I liked the gig I'd probably stay but I'd be hoping that others would get something sorted and leave just to prove a point.
                      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X