• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rate increase - how do I achieve it?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
    Does the consultancy name start with an 's' ? Just wondering if you're someone I used to work with.
    No. J.

Did you have same issues with yours?

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
      Generally, yes. Unless the client is an important one where there might be a deal done. I did work for o2 as a permie at a consultancy and there was a flat day rate for everyone (junior/senior/contract devs) of £600. Normally it would be a lot higher but o2 gave us a lot of work.
      Equal Experts?

Comment

Originally posted by GazCol View Post
        Is there really that much of a mark-up by a consultancy as opposed to an agency? In my experience, I'd say not.
        You may not even be charged out on a daily rate by the consultancy. My current client is a consultancy that's doing work for a third party at a fixed price. I'm doing some of that work, and they pay me a daily rate. I've been approached by a small consultancy run by some guys I know, and they've told me exactly what they'll be charging me out at, and exactly what they'll pay me. Difference is £200/day. Is that a lot? Not really. These guys have a never-ending stream of work coming in that they work very hard to get, and only hire people by reputation. I say it's worth giving them that cut to get more-or-less guaranteed work still at above market rates, without having to go through any tiresome recruitment process.

I've also been a permie for a software vendor that often sent us on-site for consultancy, charging us out at £1200/day back in 2001. We never saw any of that, of course, we just got a day out of the office, a hire car and a generous hotel/meals budget which was basically "treat yourself, just don't extract the urine".

Comment

So, now I know my consultancy makes 200 profit on me, are they likely to allow me to walk if I demand reducing it to 150?

Comment

Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
            So, now I know my consultancy makes 200 profit on me, are they likely to allow me to walk if I demand reducing it to 150?
            Only way is to try.

Comment

I asked for 475 and got 465. Thanks for all the input.

Comment

I asked for 475 and got 465.
                If only you had asked for £485...

Well, there's always next time.
                nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
                  If only you had asked for £485...

Well, there's always next time.
                  It's already eating away at me!

Comment

It's already eating away at me!
                    Just been extended again, did think about upping my rate as I am 18 months into this contract, I'm direct and the rate is pretty good so I went with a different tack and asked for a day work from home (live in Brum and commute to London so a long day and no one does WFH right now), they agreed and that's worth much more to me than an extra 5%. Next up end of September and I do think a 10% rate increase request will be going in then!

Comment

Originally posted by riffpie View Post
                      Equal Experts?
                      No, but they were there too.

Comment

Working...
                      X