• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Slow Market?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slow Market?

First time poster... So pardon my ignorance. I am a newish contractor and have been on the bench since Christmas. It is scary that there are barely any jobs on the market for a Test Manager. It is normal this time of the year? or has this year been particularly bad?

Originally posted by spb View Post
    First time poster... So pardon my ignorance. I am a newish contractor and have been on the bench since Christmas. It is scary that there are barely any jobs on the market for a Test Manager. It is normal this time of the year? or has this year been particularly bad?
    Doing an arbitary count of jobs on jobserve the market looks about 15% better than this time last year and not far off what I would call average.

What have you been doing to find a contract?

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
      Doing an arbitary count of jobs on jobserve the market looks about 15% better than this time last year and not far off what I would call average.

Location is a big factor, where about's are you looking?

Comment

Originally posted by kal View Post
        Location is a big factor, where about's are you looking?
        And (to the op), are you prepared to travel / work away from home if required?

Comment

How about this one?

Security Cleared Functional Testers Job
          I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
            That's Coop Financial Services.

Comment

I'm a Test Manager and have had more calls in this January than I have ever had before. I do have finance, govt, retail and NHS on my cv though.
              Blood in your poo

Comment

Tried reaching out to my contacts, previous consultants who hired me,jobserve/jobsite, updated my cv with relevant experience only and not putting in everything I have done, call up consultants for the jobs I applied - I understand they would give a ring if my CV was good enough for them. But I havent had any calls except for 2 or 3.

Comment

And (to the op), are you prepared to travel / work away from home if required?
                  I am open to travel within the UK. Open to work from home as well.

Comment

I am open to travel within the UK. Open to work from home as well.
                    Sounds like you are doing all the right things.

Are you tailoring your cv to individual roles and adding a covering paragraph saying why you are suitable? It may just distinguish you from the rest.

How many jobs are you seeing and applying for?

Comment

Working...
                    X