• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Operating subsidiary companies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Operating subsidiary companies

A few years ago, I operated a small software supply company which, to be honest, didn't do too well (but still made a small profit). However the company was under various pressures stopping it from growing, in particular the archaic Card Merchant rules at the time.

Being much older and wiser (and still owning the domain - luckily), I have decided to operate the company again, but this time learning from the mistakes I made again, like trying to grow too quickly.

I already own a Ltd co, through which I currently contract. What I was thinking of doing was operating the old company as a subsidiary to my main consultancy. The advantages are that I get an additional income stream, and it means my company isn't just involved in consultancy services. It also means I don't need to register with the various govt agencies, just use existing VAT details etc.

The old company was never registered as a Ltd co, it just operated as a name.

Can anyone suggest ideal ways to be operating under this method? I don't want to increase paperwork, but still wish to retain control of the business. What do I have to be aware of? I can think of some issues, such as how to present information about the company on the website or on literature to keep on the right side of the law.

Working...
X