• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract signed but now no longer wish to take up the job

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract signed but now no longer wish to take up the job

Hi All,

I've signed and returned a contract which I'm due to start in 3 weeks but now no longer want to take up the contract. Is the contract in force yet or is it only enforceable when I start the work? Can I still pull out of the contract? If so, anyone know of possible legal ramifications?
    I'd be grateful for any and all opinions or tales of experience.
    Thanks all.

Yes, no, yes, agent bollocking.

Comment

Does the contract have any provisions covering this?

Comment

Tell the agent something has happened so you can't do the role.

The client doesn't want a contractor who doesn't want to be there, so however much tulip the agency threatens you with remember that.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Give 4 weeks notice to terminate the contract (assuming you have 4 weeks notice).

This will mean that you'll have to do work for the 1st week. Explain that you'd be more than happy to not work for that week if not required.
          Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
            Give 4 weeks notice to terminate the contract (assuming you have 4 weeks notice).

This will mean that you'll have to do work for the 1st week. Explain that you'd be more than happy to not work for that week if not required.
            4 weeks should also be adequate to avoid the agency charging PILON if that has been written in the contract. Like SueEllen said, the end client will more likely than not be willing to waive the notice period and accept the termination of the engagement if the contractor doesn't want to be there.

The agency might complain even if a contract hadn't been signed, which has happened to me.

Comment

Many contracts have a clause saying that if either party withdraws prior to the start date then the contract is voided.

Comment

Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
                4 weeks should also be adequate to avoid the agency charging PILON if that has been written in the contract. Like SueEllen said, the end client will more likely than not be willing to waive the notice period and accept the termination of the engagement if the contractor doesn't want to be there.

The agency might complain even if a contract hadn't been signed, which has happened to me.
                PILON? Never heard of agency actually being able to charge that....
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X