• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do you take out IR35 Insurance?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personally, I don't take IR35 insurance. But I'm quite confident that in the event of an enquiry, I'd be able to respond and shut any potential investigation down. As flawed as it is, I scored 79 on HMRC's business entity test, and given that you only need 20 to be considered low risk, I think I'd have no problem shutting any enquiry down.

That being said, I always review contracts, and I've found that even at big clients I've been able to advise (dictate) what my working practices are.

It comes down to risk, and I look back on some of my earlier contracts - one in particular - and think that I was probably more permie than contractor, and I probably should have taken insurance out. Contract was fine, but working practices weren't. But I've learned from that mistake, and am building up a fledgling and 'proper' business. Hopefully, anyway!

Comment

IR35 insurance isn't very expensive, the cheapest QDOS is £117 a year I think.

As QDOS already pointed out, they charge nearly £117 an hr anyway if you used them, so I don't understand why people don't get it unless they are 100% sure they won't be contacted by HMRC, and that if they are they are 100% confident of there ability to deal with HMRC on IR35 (even though you most likely have no experiece till that point). If I was contacted I wouldn't deal with HMRC myself just ring QDOS and let them deal with it, not getting it smells of being a bit tight and short term gain for possible long term pain.
      Last edited by ELBBUBKUNPS; 19 November 2013, 15:57.
      I like big butts and I cannot lie.

Comment

Originally posted by ELBBUBKUNPS View Post
        IR35 insurance isn't very expensive, the cheapest QDOS is £117 a year I think.

As QDOS already pointed out, they charge nearly £117 an hr anyway if you used them, so I don't understand why people don't get it unless they are 100% sure they won't be contacted by HMRC, and that if they are they are 100% confident of there ability to deal with HMRC on IR35 (even though you most likely have no experiece till that point). If I was contacted I wouldn't deal with HMRC myself just ring QDOS and let them deal with it, not getting it smells of being a bit tight and short term gain for possible long term pain.
        Wow what a great deal it's so cheap, with all these investigations they must be losing money hand over fist, but I guess they just want to look out for their clients.

Or

There are virtually no investigations any more and they make a nice profit from the gullible?

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
          Wow what a great deal it's so cheap, with all these investigations they must be losing money hand over fist, but I guess they just want to look out for their clients.

Or

There are virtually no investigations any more and they make a nice profit from the gullible?
          No helping some people, just to add a bit more context to my previous post, I talk from experience after a IR35 investigation that kicked off in May this year which is now closed. Good luck!
          I like big butts and I cannot lie.

Comment

Originally posted by ELBBUBKUNPS View Post
            No helping some people, just to add a bit more context to my previous post, I talk from experience after a IR35 investigation that kicked off in May this year which is now closed. Good luck!
            You just forgot to mention that on your first post did you?

Comment

Or

Are you just being argumentative just for the sake of it?

I went through a long drawn out ir35 investigation which cost an awful lot in time and fees, fortunately the fees were paid by PCG as part of my insurance. Without it, although it would not have broken me it would have been an expensive victory.

I think if you do not have insurance then you are a fool, whether that is car insurance, house insurance or ir35 insurance.

And before you ask, no I have nothing to gain from this post, or ir35 insurance, I am no longer even a contractor

Comment

I have PCG+

I don't bother with QDOS insurance because I'm sure they have plenty of wriggle room to avoid paying up in the event of my losing a case. I had to confirm a number of things to take out the policy relating to D&C etc - grey areas really and I couldn't really confirm my situation one way or the other.

Comment

PCG+ for me. I agree the risks are low, but I know at least a couple of CUKkers have been investigated, so it can and does happen.

Comment

I too have building insurance but not IR35 because the chances of my building being damaged is not zero.
                    There have been IR35 investigations therefore the chance of it is not zero.

Stop trolling in the professional forums please.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
                      I have PCG+

I don't bother with QDOS insurance because I'm sure they have plenty of wriggle room to avoid paying up in the event of my losing a case. I had to confirm a number of things to take out the policy relating to D&C etc - grey areas really and I couldn't really confirm my situation one way or the other.
                      Yes, I thought the same about QDOS

Comment

Working...
                      X