• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract typically provided by contractor or employer?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Just out of interest, is that because you got yours out first before he could whap his on the table or was it expected you to use yours?
    *Snigger*

Sorry I have nothing constructive to add...
    Permietractor (probably)

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Just out of interest, is that because you got yours out first before he could whap his on the table or was it expected you to use yours?
      I think they assumed I'd happily work without one. It was kinda a lacksidasical arrangement, but very profitable!

Comment

I've used the PCG contract twice when the client didn't have a suitable contract of their own - one sent me something that was pretty much an edited version of their employment contract which I had to politely decline.....

Comment

Originally posted by bigugly View Post
          I'm new here and couldn't find an answer to this question - is it the contractor or the employer that typically provides the contract? Assuming the contractor's using their own limited company so no intermediary.
          Resources - IR35 Hub - Model Contracts

If it's direct then ideally you'd supply your own terms and the client will just accept it. In practice if it's a small company they'll typically agree with a few wording changes.

If the co. is large enough to have its own HR dept. then more than likely they'll want to impose their own 'standard' contract. Unfortunately this can be a fixed term employment contract re-worded and butchered by the in house 'expert'. This is exactly what I had to deal with on the current gig but after a few emails, the employment pointers ripped out one by one and replaced with the salient clauses from the PCG contract. Would have been so much easier if they had accepted those terms to start with!

If it's via an agency then the agency will certainly supply the contract (you'd have to be worried if they didn't!). The smaller (one-man-band) agents might use the PCG template from when it used to be a free download although you still have no guarantee of what they are using for the contract with the client.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
            I think they assumed I'd happily work without one. It was kinda a lacksidasical arrangement, but very profitable!
            lackadaisical
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

I'm direct, they provided their standard contract, which was as IR35 friendly (if not more so) than agency contracts I've had.

They deal with lots of contractors, though, so I would expect them to have a decent contract.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Mmm seems it might be worth having the PCG contract(s) up my sleeve just in case.

Comment

Working...
                X