• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Exposing recruitment agency tactics / tricks, part 1

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exposing recruitment agency tactics / tricks, part 1

Hi there,

I was recently put forward for a permanent position by a recruitment agency, which for the moment shall remain anonymous. The agent said salary would be £45-50k plus the usual permie benefits.

I had to do the assessment centre numerical and verbal reasoning tests prior to interview. The interview was mostly competency based plus questions about career to date.

In my experience all these type of interviews are very similar and unoriginal in terms of what the companies claim to be looking for, and claim about themselves as employers.

Before the interview the agent gave me a mock interview on the phone and discouraged me from any negativity whatsoever. He helped me get my story straight as to why I wanted to leave contracting and go perm. So I went to the interview full of positivity and acting like this was my dream job, would be my career highlight and to leave that unprogressive contracting career. Why? As I wanted to get a perm job to settle in the area and develop my career in their excellent company.

The competency interview went ok, I had examples for all the situations they were looking for.

However, after the interview I was called by the agent. He asked me how it went, if I liked them, if I thought they liked me, and if I was 'honestly keen' about the role.

I answered all these in the positive with enthusiasm, partly as this call from the agent felt like a second interview, and partly because I've had these calls from agents after interview in the past and just don't trust their true motives.

Then the agent asked me if I had discussed salary at all. I said yes, they asked me about my salary expectation and I told them £45-50k, just as the agent had told me. The agent asked me if they offered £40k would I accept. I said I didn't really understand why the agent was asking me this when no offer had been made to my understanding? I was non-committal to this but I said I would consider any offer made to me by the company but that I had attended the interview based on an expectation of £45-50k and that I wanted to know more about the other benefits not just the salary to properly decide, should the offer consist of a lower salary.

So what's going on here guys?

Here are my thoughts.

The agent has put 3-4 people forward to be interviewed here. The agent's commission is in the bag no matter who they take on. I have 10 years experience and the max qualifications required for this role. The other candidates have not as much quals and experience but enough for the job. The other candidates have told the agent after their interview they would accept £35-40k.

What other possibilities could there be? And isn't this a good reason not to use agents for applying for permanent positions?

A few years ago, when I had less experience and qualifications something similar happened. The job was 2 hours away and they put me for an interview for a £40-45k job but in the end they offered me £30k. I said sorry, but that's well short of what agent told me the job paid. They then increased the offer to £31k and I said no thanks.

It just seems to me, with these agents involved, that applying for perm jobs is a waste of time through them as they tell you £10k higher salary than what you need to accept to actually get the job, as some desperate other candidate they have will take the £10k less.

Is my thinking on the right lines, do you think?
    Last edited by masonryan; 2 October 2013, 17:32.

Carrot and stick - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Please make your point. I don't read minds.

Comment

Originally posted by masonryan View Post
        The agent has put 3-4 people forward to be interviewed here. The agent's commission is in the bag no matter who they take on. I have 10 years experience and the max qualifications required for this role. The other candidates have not as much quals and experience but enough for the job. The other candidates have told the agent after their interview they would accept £35-40k.
        For a permie position, the agent (in my experience) tends to be on a fixed percentage of your starting salary - so there is an incentive for them to get the highest salary for you.

Could be that the client doesn't want to pay either you or them that much, so they entice with a better salary and then hope they can persuade you to accept a lower one when you get to know what else is on offer and what a great company they are.

I'm not convinced that having an agent in the mix makes that much difference, assuming that the agent has some degree of knowledge. When I left my last permie role, an agent rang me about a great opportunity, which turned out to be my replacement. The salary on "offer" was significantly more than I was being paid. I told my boss that if they were paying that rate, I wouldn't be looking elsewhere, and his reply was "we're not paying that; but if we advertised what we are paying, we wouldn't get many applicants". The duplicity of advertising at a rate about £10-15k more than they were prepared to pay came from the client, not from the agent.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by masonryan View Post
          Please make your point. I don't read minds.
          I think it means "companies try to entice you to work for them".
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
            I think it means "companies try to entice you to work for them".
            By saying all the same things, that they really believe in learning and development, that they want people who will be pro-active and offer improvements etc. they all say this, but in reality is this the case when their perm personnel is mostly completely changed within 5-10 years as people move to different companies to progress their careers?

Are you an agent?

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
              The duplicity of advertising at a rate about £10-15k more than they were prepared to pay came from the client, not from the agent.
              Both are complicit in attracting people to interviews on false pretenses. In other words: deceiving, lying to people.

Comment

I think you're reading too much into it.

The client may well want to see a range of people to help decide if they actually need to pay for someone more senior or if one of the cheaper candidates can fill the role.

If the client did think that a cheaper guy could do the job then there would be no harm in them chucking a low ball offer in your direction to see if you'd accept, if not then they've got the cheap guy as a fallback. Agent is probably just trying to gauge how low you'd go.

Good luck anyway

Comment

Originally posted by smatty View Post
                  I think you're reading too much into it.

The client may well want to see a range of people to help decide if they actually need to pay for someone more senior or if one of the cheaper candidates can fill the role.

If the client did think that a cheaper guy could do the job then there would be no harm in them chucking a low ball offer in your direction to see if you'd accept, if not then they've got the cheap guy as a fallback. Agent is probably just trying to gauge how low you'd go.

Good luck anyway
                  Thanks, yes that was my other thought. No I'm not reading too much into it. Only mugs will accept the bogus 'feedback' they give you most of the time. Usually you didn't get the job as they got someone in cheaper they could put up with. Just proceed on the basis that agents lie to you and you won't go far wrong.

Comment

The question is - does it matter?

You can try to second guess the agent all day but you will never be sure and if you were it probably would not change anything.

Do you accept the offer? If not, tell them and see what happens.
                    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Working...
                    X