• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

breach of contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GazCol View Post
    The rate advertised is irrelevant if the job spec is the same. If there's no justification for terminating the contract, which considering we don't know the terms of the contract is a big if, they've clearly breached the contract. It's this mindset of many contractors to put it down to experience, roll over and get another contract that allows co's to get away with this behaviour.

However, it's all moot if, as Wanderer said in an earlier post, the contract has the provision to terminate without notice & reason.
    We don't really know though. I can't help feeling there is something else going on here we are not being told about. Why would the guy laugh when he mentioned it and be so eager for him to be out of the door. Something doesn't seem right here.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      We don't really know though. I can't help feeling there is something else going on here we are not being told about. Why would the guy laugh when he mentioned it and be so eager for him to be out of the door. Something doesn't seem right here.
      Yes, there's always another side to the story nor can I believe any company would through around gross misconduct terms without evidence to back it up, especially in a business to business relationship.

Comment

Holy crap! Umbrella for 12 years?!?!?!?

Have you used the calculators to see how much you have lost over that period?

How long was this contract that you have just finished?
        If the rate is as low as the original post suggests (£20 an hour), then you won't lose that much by going umbrella rather than Ltd.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
          If the rate is as low as the original post suggests (£20 an hour), then you won't lose that much by going umbrella rather than Ltd.
          It's a significant amount, if outside IR35 per year, at a rough approximation (lets say a 10% net pay difference for Ltd vs Umbrella, including expenses and accountancy fees, which is being extremely generous) based on 40 hours a week that's £4k a year. Over 12 years... yeah, that's a lot of money for anybody.

Comment

It's a significant amount, if outside IR35 per year, at a rough approximation (lets say a 10% net pay difference for Ltd vs Umbrella, including expenses and accountancy fees, which is being extremely generous) based on 40 hours a week that's £4k a year. Over 12 years... yeah, that's a lot of money for anybody.
            Reading the original post, I don't think this is an outside IR35 contract.
            I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Reading the original post, I don't think this is an outside IR35 contract.
              There's no where near enough information in the OP's post to form an opinion on their IR35 status - the only information given is the intent to make the role permanent, which wasn't documented and quickly proved to not be the case.

If anything, being asked to leave the contract early because there was no work available would be a good IR35 defence.

Comment

There's no where near enough information in the OP's post to form an opinion on their IR35 status - the only information given is the intent to make the role permanent, which wasn't documented and quickly proved to not be the case.

If anything, being asked to leave the contract early because there was no work available would be a good IR35 defence.
                Ah, OK. You're fine to assume that he's outside IR35 based on the original post, and therefore it's a lot of money to lose, whereas one doesn't have enough information to assume that the OP is inside IR35 and therefore the difference isn't going to be that great.

Comment

Ah, OK. You're fine to assume that he's outside IR35 based on the original post, and therefore it's a lot of money to lose, whereas one doesn't have enough information to assume that the OP is inside IR35 and therefore the difference isn't going to be that great.

As per my post:

Originally posted by GazC
                  It's a significant amount, if outside IR35 per year, at a rough approximation
                  I didn't make an assumption or second guess; I clearly stated if.

Comment

It more likely that the agency didn't amend their contract to suit what the client asked for. Remember agents are salespeople with less understanding of contract law than the average contractor.

So while the client may be well within their rights to terminate immediately with no reason given if the agency was stupid enough not to put this in as a termination clause, then the contractor needs to go after the agency. It doesn't matter whether or not there is timesheet as the client doesn't have to sign this for a valid notice period. Kittycat or whatever her new name is did this, and eventually the agency settled out of court to avoid having a ruling against them.

Some of my contracts have clearly stated that the contract can be terminated if there is no work in the termination clause and others do not. This means that I have managed to get a client to pay a notice period due to them not mentioning this there as on other contracts I have agreed to finish a couple of days earlier.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      It more likely that the agency didn't amend their contract to suit what the client asked for. Remember agents are salespeople with less understanding of contract law than the average contractor.

So while the client may be well within their rights to terminate immediately with no reason given if the agency was stupid enough not to put this in as a termination clause, then the contractor needs to go after the agency. It doesn't matter whether or not there is timesheet as the client doesn't have to sign this for a valid notice period. Kittycat or whatever her new name is did this, and eventually the agency settled out of court to avoid having a ruling against them.

Some of my contracts have clearly stated that the contract can be terminated if there is no work in the termination clause and others do not. This means that I have managed to get a client to pay a notice period due to them not mentioning this there as on other contracts I have agreed to finish a couple of days earlier.
                      I was wondering more about why the client isn't treating the contractor better so wondering if there is some lack of respect between the two parties.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X