• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I know the market may be a little slow in places but....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know the market may be a little slow in places but....

...do they really think people will take these contracts on?

I hope you are well?
    My Client in Bradford is looking for a VB6 developer on a 3 month contract. The day rate for the contract is around £115 per day (absolute max!)
    Skills Required:
    o Visual Basic 6
    o SQL Server 2000, 2005
    o Classic ASP
    o Java Script
    o C# (desirable)
    o ASP.Net (desirable)
    o ASP.net MVC (desirable)
    o Java (desirable)

Surely you could rent a castle on that kind of rate oop north though
    Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by Murder1 View Post

Must be a bob position for TCS and the likes. Going through the usual visa abuse of "Oh we advertised for the role but did not find anyone suitable", and then hire a bob. Wouldn't be surprised if they conducted a couple of interviews for the sake of it, and failed everyone apart from the bob.
      P.S: Tata means bye bye in my local dialect.
      I am Brad. I do more than the needful and drive the market rates up by not bobbing my head.

Comment

These rate are usually for starters. Junior ITs with no knowledge/experience - Blaggers usually end up getting these.

And im sure the interview process would be though
        Last edited by rurffy; 8 August 2013, 13:51. Reason: Typo

Comment

I have wondered if any of these roles are Clients being bold enough to 'test the waters' so to speak and advertise a role (say a PM or BA type role) for £150-200 asking for the usual requirements that someone after £450-500+ would expect.

I can't speak for all areas and London is probably still the exception, but if any of them cotton on to the desperation out there then they could be onto a supply/demand style winner IMHO.
          Permietractor (probably)

Comment

Originally posted by tranceporter View Post
            P.S: Tata means bye bye in my local dialect.
            TTFN - Ta ta for now..

Comment

Originally posted by Murder1 View Post
              Agents will get a lot of script-kiddies' applying at these sort of rates.

Comment

Mate of mine did a role for £100 for a few weeks.

Basically, he had to sit at home, then if they rung him he had to go to a customer site (all within about 30 miles of his house). Ended up doing about 5 hours work a week.

Sounds OK. £100 for sitting there most of the day LOL. Of course, when something decent came along he was off like a shot.
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

"Its a Trap!"

Well more of a Trick! A lot of companies have to advertise internal jobs externally by law (even if they have already found the guy they want on the inside.) This is sometimes because of department redundancies and job reassignments.
                  I know as it happened to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mephisto View Post
                    I have wondered if any of these roles are Clients being bold enough to 'test the waters' so to speak and advertise a role (say a PM or BA type role) for £150-200 asking for the usual requirements that someone after £450-500+ would expect.
                    Very astute.

Comment

Working...
                    X