• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Does this count as discussing rate?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does this count as discussing rate?

My agent keeps reiterating that I shouldn't discuss my rate with the client. So the client asks me if I'll take a nine month contract for a more competitive rate (i.e. lower) and I say I'd prefer three months and the current rate isn't very good anyway. So she asks what I'm actually receiving and I tell her and she's like, we'll have to get you more money from the agency rather than us!

So does this count as discussing rates?

Also, I'm still a little peeved since the original rate quoted was £40 above what I got. The agent said something about the client's budget being tight and asked what my minimum was which unsurprisingly is what I got...

Originally posted by IanIan View Post
    My agent keeps reiterating that I shouldn't discuss my rate with the client. So the client asks me if I'll take a nine month contract for a more competitive rate (i.e. lower) and I say I'd prefer three months and the current rate isn't very good anyway. So she asks what I'm actually receiving and I tell her and she's like, we'll have to get you more money from the agency rather than us!

Also, I'm still a little peeved since the original rate quoted was £40 above what I got. The agent said something about the client's budget being tight and asked what my minimum was which unsurprisingly is what I got...
    Telling someone your rate is probably counted as discussing your rate. However, what the agency can do about it is questionable.
    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Yes, it does count as discussing rates. But I wonder why the agent was so keen for you not to? Maybe so that you didn't find out they were ripping you off. Not sure how you're supposed to deal with that sort of question - I guess the correct response is "Please can you go via the agent". Probable outcome is that you'll get more money and/or the client will pay less.

Comment

Discuss it with whom you like, its your rate. The agent will do sod all about it as while they could terminate your contract, it would be commercial foot-shooting.

Comment

I think the agent said I was legally bound not to discuss the rate.

Comment

Unless it says so in your contract (and I have never seen one that does), the correct response is "any verb of your choice" followed by "off".

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
              Unless it says so in your contract (and I have never seen one that does), the correct response is "any verb of your choice" followed by "off".
              WHS. As soon as I am in the good books of the client and he is happy with me, I pop the question; "So how much am I costing you?", and out comes the answer Always good to know what the agency margin is. That way you can be open with the client, and tell them what the agency cut is. In the last 3 gigs I have always known the agency cut. It also opens doors to negotiate with the client, and ask them to tell the agency to cut down their margin, or bump up the rate (happened with my current gig). All this "don't discuss rate with the client" is to keep us from knowing the agency margin. On the flip side, if you wanted to leave a gig early, you should return the favour and tell the client first before the agency (the same person who told you the true daily rate). Otherwise it would mean double standards, and I for one, would think that as unfair.
              I am Brad. I do more than the needful and drive the market rates up by not bobbing my head.

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
                Pretty sure most of mine say that.

The agency is trying to make sure neither you nor the end client find out how much they are fleecing you both for.

And technically it is none of your business though it does affect you.

But as others have said, whether they terminate you for violating such a clause is another matter.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                  Pretty sure most of mine say that.

The agency is trying to make sure neither you nor the end client find out how much they are fleecing you both for.

And technically it is none of your business though it does affect you.

But as others have said, whether they terminate you for violating such a clause is another matter.
                  You should always get the agency to change it so the people planning the finance at the client know your rate.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Then they can terminate the contract or sue you for any losses they have incurred.

Comment

Working...
                    X