• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

NDA specifies agency employee

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dominic Connor View Post
    If you had a decent agent, he'd ring legal at the client and point out that a mis-statement like this might invalidate the NDA since you simply aren't an employee and certainly leaves the client open to various IR35 and employment law hassles.

Since you don't have a decent agent, have you tried contacting their inhouse legal or if all else fails HR ?
    The other thing that a lawyer will tell you is that just as important as what's in writing (eg in the NDA itself) is what the intention of the parties was at the point of signing?

How do you demonstrate intention in a situation like this you may be wondering?

A suitable email to your agent confirming that the NDA is badly worded but that you're signing this anyway as a non employee since you fully understand the client's need to address the issue of non disclosure. This has you nicely covered should any future issues arise.

Then as advised elsewhere, file in the 3 month retention pile and get on with the gig

Comment

Sorted

Agency chased me up at the beginning of the week as the contract start is imminent. I re-iterated that I wasn't happy signing the forms as they stood, and this time he asked me if I would re-word them to something I was happy to sign and then he would pass them to the client to verify they were happy.

Have now done this, client has accepted (and admitted they need to change the default wording in future).

Result

(would have been nice if the agent had let me do it in the first place though...)
      Do what thou wilt

Comment

Working...
      X