• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Has anyone ever requested the Agent - Client contract and received it?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone ever requested the Agent - Client contract and received it?

I'm now the only contractor via my agency at the current client as all other recruitment goes via another pimp. I've been offered a renewal and was going to raise the discussion regarding my rate given the increase in both responsibility and skill-set now being utilised by the end client.

I'm just going to ask both the client and agent what the current margin of the agent is and see what the response is, however I wondered if anyone had ever asked for the contract held between the agent and client and received it?

I appreciate that the agency have no legal obligation to provide me with the contract they have with the client, but I just wondered if anyone had ever asked for it and the agency were happy to provide?

Can't see why an agency would supply this, their whole model is based on smoke and mirrors between all parties.

You could try the end client if you have a good relationship with them but no one is under any obligation to share anything with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Murder1 View Post
      I'm now the only contractor via my agency at the current client as all other recruitment goes via another pimp. I've been offered a renewal and was going to raise the discussion regarding my rate given the increase in both responsibility and skill-set now being utilised by the end client.

I'm just going to ask both the client and agent what the current margin of the agent is and see what the response is, however I wondered if anyone had ever asked for the contract held between the agent and client and received it?

I appreciate that the agency have no legal obligation to provide me with the contract they have with the client, but I just wondered if anyone had ever asked for it and the agency were happy to provide?
      Nothing to do with you really is it. Your contract is between your ltd and the agency.

It could be looked upon badly by both agency and client that you are potentially causing an issue to raise your rate. You signed a contract beforehand with rate x so deal with it. If you want an increase then justify it and renegotiate before signing a new one.

Obviously be prepared to walk
      Polishing a turd near you!!

Comment

Originally posted by vadhert View Post
        Nothing to do with you really is it. Your contract is between your ltd and the agency.

It could be looked upon badly by both agency and client that you are potentially causing an issue to raise your rate. You signed a contract beforehand with rate x so deal with it. If you want an increase then justify it and renegotiate before signing a new one.

Obviously be prepared to walk

Not strictly true, it can be to do with you from an IR35 perspective as HMRC can pick holes in any differences between this contract and the contract you hold with the agent.

In terms of renegotiating I'm more than happy managing that without knowing what the agent is on, I was asking more hypothetically as to whether anyone had asked for and received the contract?

Comment

I have. The agent said no problem and emailed it to me straight away. I only saw the standard terms though, not a schedule (which probably) contained rate amongst other things.
          Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
            I have. The agent said no problem and emailed it to me straight away. I only saw the standard terms though, not a schedule (which probably) contained rate amongst other things.
            Just spoke to the agent and he said no problem he'd email it over, they were also upfront about their percentage anyway although he said that i was non-negotiable as it was "already low"

Comment

Just spoke to the agent and he said no problem he'd email it over, they were also upfront about their percentage anyway although he said that i was non-negotiable as it was "already low"
              I heard this after being on the bench for a couple of months and taking a lower than wanted rate. The agent is on 20%. Time to renew now and client has offered another 2 months after end of August. I don't know if it's worth going for a rate increase or just take the skills increase. I simply can't afford to walk.

Comment

Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
                I heard this after being on the bench for a couple of months and taking a lower than wanted rate. The agent is on 20%. Time to renew now and client has offered another 2 months after end of August. I don't know if it's worth going for a rate increase or just take the skills increase. I simply can't afford to walk.
                If you can't afford to walk then your bargaining position is incredibly weak. Justify why you deserve an increase (what do you do now that you didn't do before etc.) and you might be in with a chance, though.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Yes - the contract between MyCo and the Agency referred to their contract with Client. I said either they had to remove that clause or send me the Client contract so I could check there was nothing in there I couldn't / wouldn't comply with. They did send it through, but it was just general T&Cs and nothing about rates etc.

Comment

Working...
                  X