• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How long can a company hold an unsuccessful applicant's details?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long can a company hold an unsuccessful applicant's details?

Are they allowed to retain your personal details for 3 years?

IANAL, but not as far as I know. I thought a company could only hold your details if it has a legitimate reason to do so and even then not if you object (unless it is one of the exempt organisations - the old bill, MI5, etc).
    I'm Spartacus.

Comment

Am I right in thinking that such companies have to tell you how long they will keep your details for and why? Usually, for a nominal fee, you can write to the company and ask for a copy of all the information they hold about you. And, if you're not happy with that info you should be able to request that it be destroyed.

However, I could be barking up the completely wrong tree and talking a load of tulipe.

Comment

Data Protection Act 1998 have a look at the Information Commissioners site.

Companies can hold your "personal" data as long as they have a viable reason to so they could hold your data for 3 years or 10 years it depends on the small print you signed up to or how they state they use their customers data. You need to specifically write to them under the provisions of the Data Protection Act 1998 and tell them to stop processing your personal data otherwise you will take further action. (It is a great way to stop companies sending you unwanted junk mail as in theory you can take them to court for distress and stress.)

If you do what ladymuck said, which is know as a Data Subject Access Request, the data will not be destroyed it will be amended with your corrections.

Comment

I spoke to somebody in recruitment, and they said they won't destroy the details - and they will retain them for however long, in case any queries later on down the line.

B*stards.

Comment

Most companies hold proper records about people for about 7 years for tax reasons. After that they keep brief details i.e. full name, DOB just to confirm that the person worked there or used there service.

If you search the Information Commissioners website you will find a register of Data Controllers. Put in the name of the company into the search box and see what legal reasons they have for keeping your data. If the company cannot be found ring the Information Comissioner's office up and give the company's full name and address, then ask for the reasons they have for keeping your data. If the company cannot be found then you need to ask how do you put in a complaint because you think that xxx company is using/holding your data illegally as they are not registered under the Data Protection Act 1998. This is a finable offence.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice Miss Ellie.

I am checking out the commissioners website you mentioned now.

Comment

Working...
              X