• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Playing games with timesheet = late payment.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Playing games with timesheet = late payment.

So...started a new 6 month gig in March with a banking client. Rate is great but everything else is terrible - apologies for being a whining <...> but...

> I haven't ever had a desk since day 1. There is chronic over crowding so I have to work in a windowless meeting room with cables everywhere. The office is so bad mouse traps are in the corners of the room.

> I have no desk phone. People without a desk are expected to use their personal mobiles (wtf?)

> It's been almost 3 months and I still don't have access to things I need, including software despite chasing daily for it (i.e. I cannot do my job properly without it, despite stating what I needed in my interview).

> The management are shocking. It takes one bloke 2.5 weeks to click on an 'approve' button - normally I wouldn't care but when it's stopping you from delivering work it becomes very frustrating. Tried chasing, speaking face to face ("yer, i'll do it later"), nothing seems to work.

> My line manager is barely ever in. Only ever works 4 days a week and sits in her ivory tower with "the management team" in a corner. One day came to me asking to help someone deliver 81 (yes - 81!!!) different pieces of analysis on top of my day job (I told her politely where to go - aka: you need a team of people to do this).

You get the picture - I could go on. Today I needed to get my agency timesheet approved - it's a simple old school method of emailing the word "approved" from a manager to the agency with the attachment. Takes 2 seconds...but not with this ego (well known bully) manager. You know the type; been there for 18 years, thinks he is the muts nuts, huge beer belly, gets a kick out of watching people squirm...

...so, send him the timesheet, politely asking him to reply "approved" to the correct people last week. Deadline is at 12pm today and only got 3 hours until I get told I won't be paid on time, so I politely chase him again via email...nothing.

I look for where he sits but he's not there. Check on the instant chat thing and being online I kindly ask him to approve the timesheet - he replies he needs to review it when back at his desk as he is in a meeting. 11am approaches and still nothing yet fatso is at his desk. I chase for the third time, still being polite - he decides to ignore me. Great.

I went to the toilet and after coming out who do I bump into...fatso. I ask him face to face (again, calm and politely but holding back from screaming at him) to simply approve my timesheet because of the deadline - he has had it a few days now. This prat decides to ignore me face to face and walk off.

So...there I was completely unable to get the word "approved" emailed back so I can get paid on time. I decided to contact my agency explaining what is wrong as professionally as I could and being understanding said they will do their best to get it through but no promises.

1pm. Fatso rocks up out of no where and talks aggressively at how ridiculous it is to expect to approve it before 12pm as he was on holiday on Friday (not my problem bud). I ask "have you approved it then?"....answer: "No. You need to put your name as part of the filename cos I get loads of them". I saw rage...mad

I change the freggin file name to include my name, emailed it back and then get a response "sorry - I did this for you, why you emailing me the same file again". FFS!

Then at 1:30pm he decides to reply "approved" fully aware I probably won't get paid on time.

This bloke is a joke. He bullies people into others leaving, clock watches others, shouts, ignores you until it's convenient for him - a real nasty piece of work. He reminds me of the special kid at school that you love to hate. Unfortunately there was no one else to approve it - only permies can approve above a certain pay grade.

Anyone dealt with prats like this before? No point going to his superiors as they are also a bunch of muppets (in with the same crowd). I usually don't care, but when it's affecting my income I do...

Muppet Central...

If that's a certain Banking Client just outside of Manchester (which has lots of Rabbits - as well as Muppets !!!) - then I would seriously think about looking for something else.

Contractors have been treated disgracefully at this place over the last 2 Years. Out in the middle of noplace. Rate cuts. One Bob out ... another Bob in. And away you go.

Leave it to the Indians.

- Bob

Comment

I feel your pain. I hate twats like this manager who think its fun to piss about with other people's money. Fortunately I havent had to take one by the throat to make them see sense. Yet!

Your options are;

Get onto the agent and tell them to extend the window for your timesheets due to an uncompromising manager who is deliberately delaying signing,

Dont go in tomorrow and quote 'MOO' as stated in your contract.

Put up with late payment for the last couple of months of the contract. And to be honest, is it worth jacking it in when you've only a couple of months to go?

Best be honest with yourself, the guy isnt going to change for you. Fact is, he's unlikely to change for anyone as he has the power.

If they offer an extension, you have to decide whether you're going to put up with this nonsense and look for something else. However, summer is approaching and contract recruitment does tend to dip at this time of year.
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

I've had no desk phone at a lot of clients. Not a big deal unless there is poor reception.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Blimey makes be grateful I'm a social worker. Managers so far (4 gigs) have all been lovely. Treated very well, made to feel at home, all permies friendly and helpful, time sheets signed on presentation.

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis View Post
            Rate is great
            Grit your teeth and keep repeating this ^^^^^^^
            Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by User98 View Post
              If that's a certain Banking Client just outside of Manchester (which has lots of Rabbits - as well as Muppets !!!) - then I would seriously think about looking for something else.

Contractors have been treated disgracefully at this place over the last 2 Years. Out in the middle of noplace. Rate cuts. One Bob out ... another Bob in. And away you go.

Leave it to the Indians.

- Bob
              And, strangely enough, that place is the only place where I ever ran into these types of can't get the timesheets signed issues.

Eventually I would simply pin the guy down at his desk until he signed the timesheet.

Whenever he kicked off about it, I just said I could easily take my problems up to Senior HR and one of the Bank's Directors, if that would help? Surprisingly it was always signed at that point.
              nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by User98 View Post

Leave it to the Indians.

- Bob
                Hmmmm, pricked my interest there! More clues to which bank and rabbits?
                I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                  Hmmmm, pricked my interest there! More clues to which bank and rabbits?
                  Clue - Knutsford?
                  I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

A few other points...

As a contractor, on the whole you should expect to supply your own tools for the job. Because of security access to the network, of course most clients provide a PC / laptop, but this can't be guaranteed. I always rock up on day 1 with my own laptop in case they don't have one ready for me.
                    As for the phone - so what? They don't have a desk phone for you? I don't have a Client company mobile when I travel abroad either, so you know what I do? I provide my own tool (my mobile) and bill them for business calls.
                    They haven't given you the software you need? OK, no-one likes the idea of spending thousands and thousands on software that you may never use at any other client, but still... you should provide your own tools.

Expecting the client to provide you with all of the hardware and software you need to do your job seems to me like an IR35 pointer. Like a builder turning up to do an extension at your house and asking you where his cement mixer, shovels, gloves, etc are kept.

As for the manager, sounds like a right knobber.

...are you sure you're cut out...
                    Last edited by Ticktock; 4 June 2013, 08:40.

Comment

Working...
                    X