• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Newbie question: please be honest!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I went into contracting I was also hoping to be able to take 3-4 months a year off to travel / do nothing. It hasn't really worked out like that because contracts tend to extend or you get a call a week after you've finished a contract with some work that you really don't feel you can afford to turn down.

It might actually be better speaking to your current employer about whether you can do part-time or flexible working, or even take a sabbatical / career break for a few months.

Comment

Originally posted by SarahL2012 View Post
      It might actually be better speaking to your current employer about whether you can do part-time or flexible working, or even take a sabbatical / career break for a few months.
      This^

In the current market, unless you have significant backup (i.e. a year's worth of living expenses), I wouldn't recommend contracting at all.

Still, you are never going to know until you try.

Just be prepared for things turning out badly.
      nomadd liked this post

Comment

Hello (from a mid-30's female)

If you are seeking worry free flexibility I would stay perm, make yourself irreplacable though your knowledge then exercise your rights as a mother to push for a shorter working wee/sabbatical (typo) options. It wont make you popukar but that is the safest way to do that.
        Where I am there are several women with a 50% work from home.

I havent seen what your skillset is yet, if you are 'special' this will give you more leverage. Being a 40+ female makes little difference but we do have some here that 'work it' - up to you.

As a contractor I have put more effort into my performance (not hours, just upping the quality) as an external professional and built up a network and reputation across various institutions. In the last 6 years I have been on the bench for 2 months and spent that time (wrongly) worrying about the next gig not for financial reasons but for CV continuity which as a perm is not a factor.

Comment

another option would be too move to a much smaller company as a perm - as this often gives you more exposer to different areas as multitasking/cross skilling is more important due to a lack of resources.

A lot of companies now allow (and encourage) flexible working so you maybe be in a position to pcik different hours which could contribute towards the work/life balanced you are looking for.

If you still fancy contracting you are probably going to need to get some qualifications yourself (as opposed to what the company may pay for) so that is an overhead on your time to consider.

But either way good luck!

Comment

Working...
          X