• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting in the USA

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting in the USA

Hi All,
    I've been offered a position with a company in the US. The offer came via a friend and no agent was involved. However, the company concerned is large and they insist on me using an agent.Can anyone recommend one. Without a finders fee, what cut do they typically take per month?

Thanks
    Simon

Friend Mode

Originally posted by Simonjb View Post
    Hi All,
    I've been offered a position with a company in the US. The offer came via a friend and no agent was involved. However, the company concerned is large and they insist on me using an agent.Can anyone recommend one. Without a finders fee, what cut do they typically take per month?

Thanks
    Simon
    Hi

Is it not possible to ask a Contractor friend whom you trust, to go via his\her Ltd Co, or they want one of the big bods?

Comment

Hi All,

Thanks
      Simon
      I think you'll need an appropriate visa to contract in the US. They have a completely different set up if you search this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Loew View Post
        I think you'll need an appropriate visa to contract in the US. They have a completely different set up if you search this forum.
        If the contract is to be performed in the US (in whole or in part), the OP will need to be a US citizen (or permanent resident). At least, there is no practical way that I am aware of to work in the US as a contractor in the sense of this website. The standard US visas are employment-based, i.e. intended for an individual to be employed by a US company, not for an individual supplying services through their own company (there are a few exceptions, like the E2 visa for foreign entrepreneurs investing a "substantial" amount of money in the US). Basically, this is a non-starter unless the OP plans to perform the services in the UK and, in that case, they will probably struggle to find an agent, so would need to go direct (although I cannot speak from experience on the chance that an agency can/would take it).

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
          If the contract is to be performed in the US (in whole or in part), the OP will need to be a US citizen (or permanent resident). At least, there is no practical way that I am aware of to work in the US as a contractor in the sense of this website. The standard US visas are employment-based, i.e. intended for an individual to be employed by a US company, not for an individual supplying services through their own company (there are a few exceptions, like the E2 visa for foreign entrepreneurs investing a "substantial" amount of money in the US)
          This. You will need an employment visa OP, and the only way to get one is if the company can prove that there is no one in the US they can hire to do the job they need you for. Also, you'll be employed in a permie capacity if they sponsor you for that visa.

If you're not a US citizen or a green card holder, you won't be able to contract Stateside.

Comment

Originally posted by NDawg View Post
            This. You will need an employment visa OP, and the only way to get one is if the company can prove that there is no one in the US they can hire to do the job they need you for. Also, you'll be employed in a permie capacity if they sponsor you for that visa.

If you're not a US citizen or a green card holder, you won't be able to contract Stateside.
            I second this.

To get a work visa is a long process. A company has to sponsor you to get one. First they have to prove that they are not able to hire someone locally. In this employment client that is already a show-stopper. If not, then they need to apply on your behalf for a work visa. You will be a permanent employee to the client, otherwise there is no work visa. If the employment is potentially shorter than 2 years (permanent with end date), then there is no work visa either. If a work visa is finally issued, it is only valid for that particular employer. This is so, that ERs can bring in "bobs" cheaply and keep them cheep for a long period of time. This is the only reason ERs are willing even to consider sponsorships.

Sorry, in this work climate this sounds impossible.
            My mind has gone blank. I wonder if it was always that way.

Comment

Hi All,

Thanks
              Simon
              Mod Note:

Hi Appsolve,

Please read the T&Cs for this forum. No blatent advertising.

Comment

Originally posted by Appsolve View Post
                Mod Note:

Hi Appsolve,

Please read the T&Cs for this forum. No blatent advertising.
                HI Mod Note,

You are absolutely correct. Being new, and eager I did not read the T & C's which I have done now. My apologies

Comment

Working...
                X