• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Roc-search - pointless waste of time

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder if this so called ROCS do place "contractors". Because i think they place references instead. Any time they call you, they are more interested in your references than you.

They never submit your CV,

They will call you numerous times by different staff for the same job.

They will request for 2 references -Insisting they must be your past managers (lool jokers!!)

They flood Jobserve and jobsite with same job different description and headings

To sum everything up - those guys are complete JOKERS!!!!

Comment

These guys drove me mad earlier in the year I was out of work and had 4 jobs come up with them either that I applied for or they called me about, every time without fail they asked for references before they would put me forward. I had an argument with one as I said no.

I wonder if the job was genuine would they really not put you forward if you don't supply them? Are they really that more interested in references that may not even lead to anything and would miss a good candidate for the role for a client??

I'm sure I have dealt with these over the years I cannot remember them being like this and asking every time. Its tough though when you are out of work but I am more inclined now to ask if I don't give them are you not putting me forward and if they say no just say 'ok' and click' like some others have said/done. If more people did this maybe they will learn as they won't be filling any of their roles!

Comment

Originally posted by wokingcontract View Post
        Just got a phone call from Roc-Search - sounded like he was in a pub - very stupid sounding man - kept me on the phone for ten minutes about a "job" for a bank in liverpool street - then at the end pulled the old "they need references before they will interview you" - was getting annoyed at being lied to so said to email me. He tried to lie his way out of this - but I wasnt having it

Got home - found an empty email apart from subject line saying "send me your references"

Decided to spin it out - sent one back saying send me the job spec - guess what - no reply!
        So he was obviously wasting your time and lying to you and in response to that you told him to email you? You need to be more assertive and challenge the agent directly. As a contractor you can't be to soft or the agents/clients will walk all over you. In that case you may as well be a permie.

Comment

Originally posted by proggy View Post
          So he was obviously wasting your time and lying to you and in response to that you told him to email you? You need to be more assertive and challenge the agent directly. As a contractor you can't be to soft or the agents/clients will walk all over you. In that case you may as well be a permie.
          Hmm - usually as they have my cv (with email address) anyway I just say email me as a way to end the conversation - but take your point might give the impression that I actually believe them.

Comment

Originally posted by Olly View Post
            Sounds like they're on a roll today.
            Also had a call from Roc's noisy call centre / boozer.
            Some spurious high level talk about the "opportunity" to which I gave equally high level answers.
            The guy even said "so now I've read your CV I can see you're a good fit".... I can put you forward.
            "Who's the client?"
            "I can't disclose at this stage"
            "I need two refs, to submit your ap"
            "sorry I only give refs to clients direct at interview and I've never been asked by a client"
            "I can't submit you then"
            "ok no problem"
            "I can't submit you without two references"
            "yes no problem"
            ....click.
            This is an awful waste of time: it's called "being pumped for information". I never give references up front in a contract, why should I build a network database for the agency and then I get nothing out of it. References are perfectly okay in permanent job, when you have just completed a third final interview and on the cusp of a job offer, and you give them normally to the business and not the agency.

I would ask for my CV and entire details to removed from Roc-Search and their database. I do not want to do business with them, because there has to be much better agencies out there.

Comment

Originally posted by rurffy View Post
              I wonder if this so called ROCS do place "contractors". Because i think they place references instead. Any time they call you, they are more interested in your references than you.

They never submit your CV,

They will call you numerous times by different staff for the same job.

They will request for 2 references -Insisting they must be your past managers (lool jokers!!)

They flood Jobserve and jobsite with same job different description and headings

To sum everything up - those guys are complete JOKERS!!!!
              Right. Get rid. Ask ROC to remove your personal details from their database. If they refuse they threaten to report them to OFT and OSCOM.

Comment

agreed, roc-search, pointless!

Just had the call myself this evening. Water off a ducks back but made me giggle.

"Found your CV..." lo and behold a perfect match. Never mind the fact that I've looked at a number of gigs this week and not had one single agency give me the courtesy of a call back.

So this "perfect contract" about 2 miles away from my door exists (thats amazing!). A flat refusal to name the client. Oh, and, just an afterthought, I'll need 2 references from you to put you forward.... yeah love the end client can have access to them if they wish to engage my services after interview.

"Oh, well then we'll have to look again at your cv to see if we can send it across." <click>

Email comes in with "spec" that has blatantly been lifted from a completely different position they are advertising, different part of country as well. Whole host of difference between java developer and telecoms architect.... but amazingly enough texts on both adverts are identical, only a keyword list of skills different!!

Roc sure p*ss me off.

...and don't even get me started on the agency who were touting a (known real) role today for 200/day when the commercial winning bid (agency won the supply of manpower) was published at a rate of 73,000 for 131 days of work. That's taking the mick. Flat refusal there from the agency to negotiate as well, saying their margin was too tight! Do the maths yerself. If I could tender myself I would have!

Comment

Surprisingly I got an interview through roc-search a while back. They initially tried to put me in at a lower rate than the spec mentioned ("oh, that was a typo"). Negotiated back up to the spec rate and went in for the interview.

Things seemed good. Suddenly, got a call from roc the next day. "Client's happy to take you on, but it's got to be at a lower rate as they can't afford the rate we put you in for".

I'd snagged the client's business card on the way out and had a good rapport with him so had a quick word to find out what was up

Turns out roc were trying to pad their margins at my expense and the client was happy to bring me on at the originally agreed rate.

Informed them that I wouldn't be taking the contract and that I'd informed the client that it was strictly to do with the rate drop. Account manager starts blaring down the phone about blahblahblah. After about 20 seconds I hung up. Haven't heard back from them since.

I'm probably blacklisted with them but it was completely worth it to actually catch a pimp in the act of skimming off the top

Comment

useless bunch - again!

I swear these eejits are getting lazier. Email in today:

Subject: Support Engineer - Contract - <mytown>
                    Rest of email: NOTHING. just pimpette's signature

Like that's really going to make me go Ooh I must ring them find out all about it.

PS: anybody from Roc reads this - your email to me is now blacklisted. The 550 bounce message sums up my position.

Comment

Next time tell them your reference is Charles Brown on 07064848737.

Comment

Working...
                      X