• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor Checklist.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hm... Could somebody summarize... How big would be initial spendings to became contractor for the UK with minimal pain?
    How fast contract might be started from the moment of decision "Yes I would want be in"?

Comment

Initial costs

£60 for setup of company, electronic delivery of stuff in 24 hours (print off the COI on proper paper - dead easy), and company nameplate (to put on registered office.
      Accountant told me who to contact to start VAT registration, PAYE reg etc (not paying her a huge amount, would prefer to do basics myself, and cost nothing).
      Designed company letterhead (needed for bank application - proof of business!), talked to bank, filled in documents, business manager visited my home (new business, cannot complete parts of documents easily)said he would send in letter with application, saying I was good business. All this completed between Tuesday 5pm & Friday 5pm.
      Total cost £60. so far. Two weeks later, assured bank stuff should be through early next week, VAT stuff sticking a bit - had letter asking for more info (as it was a new co., and couldnt complete all details!). Was warned when I spoke to them it could take 5-8 weeks (as opposed to the 3 weeks on website)
      SJD will do a contract check - I believe they only charge if it passes! They also have a lovely & free spreadsheet for managing your accounts (Thanks Simon!)
      So, I spent £60, & money on ivory card for the COI, & 60p for parking in town. Total cost so far!
      I'm hoping everything - including VAT will be sorted by the end of the week after next - when I have the first invoice off the new contract due.
      That will take it to 4 1/2 weeks, from terminating my contract & starting setup processes for going limited.

Comment

Working...
      X