• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Linkedin.com - Client - Agency triangle. FFS!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linkedin.com - Client - Agency triangle. FFS!

Some client is looking for someone with my skills. I've seen the agency ads on Jobserve. Agency rate on offer is a little on the low side.

I know who the client are, so trying to bypass the agent route. I've been trying to get in-touch with the client directly via Linkedin.com, and getting no responses.

Meanwhile, I keep getting messages via Linkedin.com and email from various agents asking if I'm available for said client.

When will clients learn that they can use Linkedin.com to get in-touch with contractors directly, instead of using fooking agents
    Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Fact is a lot of clients still don't like taking on direct contractors.

Just found a new contract myself using old contacts...my contact (who is new at this client as a permie) was about to offer me a contract when he found out internal client policy meant I still had to go via their preferred agency

So this bloody agency now gets money for nothing off my own work (ok, a very small amount, but they still did nothing for it).

Gotta look on the bright side though...at least I should get paid more regularly than going direct with a large blue chip.

Comment

Originally posted by captainham View Post

Just found a new contract myself using old contacts...my contact (who is new at this client as a permie) was about to offer me a contract when he found out internal client policy meant I still had to go via their preferred agency

So this bloody agency now gets money for nothing off my own work (ok, a very small amount, but they still did nothing for it).

Gotta look on the bright side though...at least I should get paid more regularly than going direct with a large blue chip.
      It's a tulipe state of affairs though. I'm sat here looking at a rate, thinking i'd go for it if I could get the agents margin as well.

So in this case, the client's act of wanting to go via an agency means that I'm not interested.

Comment

I've had that. Worse, I signed the contract in a hurry and didn't stop to think that the handcuff clause made no sense considering that it wasn't the agency that found the contract. Then the agency started going down the tubes, with me on 45-day payment and locked in to that agency....

All a learning process
        Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
          I've had that. Worse, I signed the contract in a hurry and didn't stop to think that the handcuff clause made no sense considering that it wasn't the agency that found the contract. Then the agency started going down the tubes, with me on 45-day payment and locked in to that agency....
          Yeah the first thing I did was remove the 6 month handcuff clause...they didn't argue it, but bearing in mind this was a standard set of terms for so-called 'direct contractors' and yet they tried to sneak this in, wound me up no end.

Comment

I'm going to start my own blog, addressed to clients who are considering using an agency to find a contractor

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
              I know who the client are, so trying to bypass the agent route. I've been trying to get in-touch with the client directly via Linkedin.com, and getting no responses.
              Lots of clients require that you use an agency even if you want to engage with them directly. Find out which agencies are on the preferred suppliers list for the client and approach one of those ones.
              Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

This is the nature of a rigged market. If clients were truly in competition with each other for talent, this kind of scenario would be inconceivable.
                Der going over der to get der der's.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
                  Lots of clients require that you use an agency even if you want to engage with them directly. Find out which agencies are on the preferred suppliers list for the client and approach one of those ones.
                  Some years back, I was approached to apply for a role - they had stopped looking, found I was coming available, and asked me to apply for it.

But I still had to use an agency - they gave me a list of 10 I could choose from, but I had to pick one.

Obviously, I binned off all the male names on the list before picking one
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Same here but as you say it's very small, 4-5% I think, basically only doing payroll duties.
                    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Working...
                    X