• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting: London Vs Sydney (or Melbourne)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    It is but once you have waved them off and boarded the plane it gets much easier
    Why didn't I think of that first!!
    Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Working with a couple of Australians at the moment - market in Sydney is dreadful apparently & its got really expensive to live out there.

Comment

Originally posted by SarahL2012 View Post
        Working with a couple of Australians at the moment - market in Sydney is dreadful apparently & its got really expensive to live out there.
        As an australian... rates are great
        Cost of living is epic.

Comment

Originally posted by LKK View Post
          There will be more opportunities in Sydney
          As most head offices of international companies are based in Sydney.

Rates in Perth will prob pay the highest. Especiall if you work for a Oil/minning company

Permie salary is excellent in Australia - worth considering if you want to settle there.
          MOST head offices of international companies are in Sydney? Yeah right, I can't think of one. Athough many international companies have a office in Sydney, the work ethic in Australia would prevent most companies putting their head offices there.

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
            MOST head offices of international companies are in Sydney? Yeah right, I can't think of one. Athough many international companies have a office in Sydney, the work ethic in Australia would prevent most companies putting their head offices there.
            I should think he/she was referringto the Australian head office, rather than the global head office...
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Thanks for the inputs everyone....

Dh is a permie - makes £60k
              I make abt £500 a day...

But our lifestyle is not very impressive. Particularly the kind of houses £400k can buy.We've saved a deposit of £100k but all we can get is a £1200sft house in a decent London suburb.... Not to mention the weather here...

We are evaluations options whether we are better off moving to Australia or Canada.... From a lifestyle perspective without taking too much of a hit on the money making side...

You are welcome to share ur thoughts ...
              Last edited by bluedrop; 17 February 2013, 09:00.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Why do I need to work for google just to use a resource that had over 1 trillion pages indexed back in 2008.

Surely you would be stupid not to use it?... particularly if you are supposed to be an IT professional. My grandmother I could forgive
                Oh chill please! You know why i asked on this forum - don't you ? The world is not full of contractors - but this forum is!

Comment

Hi Bluedrop,
                  Sounds like you're looking for these places, that will tell you about lifestyle.
                  ExpatWoman: the best guide to expat life in Dubai & the Middle East
                  Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Expats Living Abroad

When it comes to cost of living, again google will give you a great resource: Numbeo
                  Cost of Living

As an australian, do it. IT's different to what you're used to.
                  I'm sure you'll endlessly complain about the lack of class however

Originally posted by bluedrop View Post
                  Thanks for the inputs everyone....

Dh is a permie - makes £60k
                  I make abt £500 a day...

But our lifestyle is not very impressive. Particularly the kind of houses £400k can buy.We've saved a deposit of £100k but all we can get is a £1200sft house in a decent London suburb.... Not to mention the weather here...

We are evaluations options whether we are better off moving to Australia or Canada.... From a lifestyle perspective without taking too much of a hit on the money making side...

Comment

Not to mention the weather here...
                    Someone who worked for me some years back contracted in Australia from September to April, then in the UK for the rest of the year. He was British, his wife Australian so they had no passport / visa issues.

If you're the right age, Canada is a lot easier to get into. Live for three years (I think) in Canada and you just apply for permanent residency and it's granted. Live there for another five (I think) and you get citizenship if you want it. It's a lot more welcoming than Australia - Oz seems to welcome you while you work, but chances of you being able to stay once you get to retiring age are slim.

Canada can be bloody cold, though. And Quebec is particularly unfriendly if you don't speak French, unless you marry a native (as a mate of mine did).
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Mav View Post
                      IT's different to what you're used to.
                      I thought IT would be pretty constant wherever you are in the world.
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014
                      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                      X