• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Personal services company? need help...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    HMRC would turn it around and argue that's a neutral point as in employment contracts the employee can give notice as well.
    But it isn't as QDOS is saying.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      But it isn't as QDOS is saying.
      QDOS clearly pointed out that tax tribunals don't set a legal precedence. This can be interpreted as HMRC will choose it's arguments to suit the particular contractor and contract(s) in dispute. In other words they will argue away what doesn't suit them.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        QDOS clearly pointed out that tax tribunals don't set a legal precedence. This can be interpreted as HMRC will choose it's arguments to suit the particular contractor and contract(s) in dispute. In other words they will argue away what doesn't suit them.
        We know that tax tribunals don't set legal precedent; my point was that despite legal precedent (where Mr Justice Lightman considered the notice clause neutral in the case Lisa cited), HMRC does not choose to treat this issue as neutral. As you said, HMRC will choose its arguments accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackdog View Post
          Wanderer, apologies if I have misunderstood your post, but I'm assuming you meant a 6 month contract to supply services and not a fixed term contract (which would be a fixed term contract of employment with you as a PAYE employee of the end client)?
          Sorry to be unclear, I'm talking about a typical contract where a worker trading as a LTD company is engaged by a client for a period of 6 months and they are considering their IR35 status. If this was a fixed term contract on PAYE then the question of IR35 wouldn't arise.
          Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
          X