• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Green Lantern - Anyone seen this?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chunkymonkey
    YES - I must hold my hand up and say yep this is possible as I was one of those contractors who did it, the Umbrella involved was Prosperity4 and the low down was -

they invoiced the business for the full rate
    you got paid minimum wage so your tax and NI were covered
    your travelling and other "expenses" (mostly made up by them - very creativly) was reimburesed in a very convoluted round the houses way over a 2 month period
    Im still owed £500+ from these fcks - you need to have the expenses to get reimburesed everymonth - if not it gets "held" until you have enough made up.
    on a side note when i phoned up to find out when (if ever) i was going to be paid, the oik on the other end of the phone said "You should be grateful were giving you any money at all", I was young, naive and lost my way to their offices or someone would have got a kicking that day, that was alos the day I left and joined OG

DO NOT GO DOWN THIS ROUTE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD JUST WALK AWAY

IR caught up with me 3 years later, luckily it was a short contract and only owed £200, plus £75 for the NI to get me back on the straight and narrow
    What is even more alarming is that these organisations are still in business generating the same scam, yet the IR don't seem to be in any hurry to close them down only go after the contractors that owe them back tax and IR.

Perhaps they think they're onto a winner: full tax and NI from contractors eventually plus they get their share of corporation tax from the organisations that set out to deceive us in the first place.

My take on this is this: if the IR ever got in touch for backtax or IR after using one of these operations I would tell them I would gladly refund the money to them provided they had unequivocal proof they had closed their business down in the first place and gone after every other contractor on their books.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny
      I would tell them I would gladly refund the money to them provided they had unequivocal proof they had closed their business down in the first place and gone after every other contractor on their books.
      That's what I like someone who is willing to stand up for what they believe.

good on yer Denny, whats prison food like these days?
      Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

I agree with Denny, its a shame that such blood sucking agencies are still around and people are still using them, Im glad in one sense that I had this experieicne at the begining of my career on a relatively low rate, I would hate to get stumped nowdays - at least the agency I use today is very upfront.

Comment

Originally posted by chunkymonkey
          I agree with Denny, its a shame that such blood sucking agencies are still around and people are still using them, Im glad in one sense that I had this experieicne at the begining of my career on a relatively low rate, I would hate to get stumped nowdays - at least the agency I use today is very upfront.
          It's not an EB it's an umbrella scheme.
          Last edited by Contractor UK; 6 July 2006, 08:36. Reason: potential libel

Comment

gosh an umbrella company rather than an agency - probably thats where I went wrong - ........................ or maybe I got my words muddle

Comment

actually the reason you seen bad comments about them is that their so gosh darned bad - its great you get your own business manage - me I would prefer the whole department to be able to pick up my file and sort my money out, rahter than one person whos "on the other line", "out for a smoke", "in a meeting" - Im sure youll get a phone call back.

Personal mobile number, fantastic, the tssers I dealt with left after 2 months, the new guy who took over lasted another 3 mnths. Continuity of staff means a lot - my umbrella staffs turnover is very small, in the last 4 years its been 2 (at most).

As im sure is posted somewhere else on the forums - do your own research, if there are a lot of people who have had problems with them in the past then its one to approach tentertatively and not at full tilt.

and I also think their late for their returns - now this really dosent boad well for P4
              Last edited by chunkymonkey; 5 July 2006, 15:46.

Comment

Working...
              X