• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What does it take to become a Recruitment Consultant?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What does it take to become a Recruitment Consultant?

All,

I just had a conversation with an agency bloke which almost knocked me off my chair.

[after hello, formalities....]
    Agency: Listen, my client require someone with insurance background. I see from your CV that your last contract is with ABC Insurance Ltd, Leeds.
    Agency: Is it fair to say that ABC Insurance Ltd is an Insurance company?
    Me: [speechless for a second....] Yes of course
    [conversation continues...]
    Agency: Ok. I 'll send you the job spec.

I'm quite interested to find out the skillset required to become a recruitment consultant.
    Or have I stepped into a twilight zone?

PS. I have deliberately changed the sector, company name and location for obvious reasons.
    Last edited by muser; 10 January 2013, 14:43.

If you have any morals you need an ethical bypass.

Comment

I did research one recruitment consultant who contacted me recently and their previous job was as a Customer Services Assistant for a very large grocery supermarket!

To be fair to her she was more professional, personable and approachable than most agents. She may well have been a graduate and just filling in time at the supermarket information desk!

Comment

It takes remarkably little. The few better ones (also often the better qualified ones) eventually move on to in-house recruiter roles or launch their own agencies. I worked with a lot of in-house recruiters not too long ago on a large software deployment project. They all started at agencies. Staff turnover is high apparently - anyone gets a shot, most people suck at it. Kind of like most sales environments.
        Last edited by formant; 10 January 2013, 15:15.

Comment

Originally posted by up4it View Post
          I did research one recruitment consultant who contacted me recently and their previous job was as a Customer Services Assistant for a very large grocery supermarket!
          I applied for a role recently, never even got a call from the "Consultant" but got a LinkedIn connection request within an hour, according to LI, he was a double glazing salesman six months ago!

Comment

Originally posted by Liamxtype View Post
            I applied for a role recently, never even got a call from the "Consultant" but got a LinkedIn connection request within an hour, according to LI, he was a double glazing salesman six months ago!
            So why did he take a step down?

Comment

Originally posted by Liamxtype View Post
              He was a double glazing salesman six months ago!
              Not a complete surprise though - there is a lot of skill crossover - thick skin, not taking 'no' for an answer, ignoring what the customer actually wants and selling them what you want them to have.

Comment

Working...
              X