• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Give client advance notice of expected bereavement/funeral/etc?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When my dear old ma died, my client wanted me to take a week off like they gave all permie's in similar situations.

I thanked them and politely declined but said I wouldnt be in the office for a day or two (had to get a couple of flights to the funeral).
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
      I dont think there is any etiquette as such, other than I'm sure they'd like a bit of notice of being off for a funeral

People know you're human and while I'm sure there are a few arseholes out there, most will be understanding.

If any of my close relatives were to pass over night for example, I'd probably struggle to even let client co know that day, and to be honest if they gave me tulip about it I couldn't care less.
      WHS. Most clients are OK anyway.

My current client (or at least local manager) is good as gold to be honest. Mrs has had some health issues in the past year but hes been great as far as flexibilty etc has been concerned and not bothered if I tell him I'll be in late/leave early/enforced WFH.

But like you say, if something serious happened, client could **** off if they give me grief about it. Clients interests aren't that important in the grand scheme of things ultimately...
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
      X