• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expences - Eye test and Glasses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Glasses through the company? I guess that one is going on the hall of fame next to driving lessons, speeding fines etc. People that can't work this out for themselves should not be running a company, or at least first in line for a visit from HMRC so they will leave the rest of us that try to understand our companies alone.
    Considering some companies will give employees all kinds of weird things in their package - catered gourmet meals, gym membership, private healthcare plans, I don't think this is a dumb question.

Starting a company, especially for contracting where you don't do it because you want to run a company, is a step into the unknown.

I bet loads of people didn't/don't know you can claim for eye tests for instance!
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Considering some companies will give employees all kinds of weird things in their package - catered gourmet meals, gym membership, private healthcare plans, I don't think this is a dumb question.

Starting a company, especially for contracting where you don't do it because you want to run a company, is a step into the unknown.

I bet loads of people didn't/don't know you can claim for eye tests for instance!
      Elf and safety, innit.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg36.pdf

What do employers have to do to comply?

On request arrange eye tests, and provide spectacles if special ones
      are needed

Employees covered by the Regulations can ask their employer to provide and pay
      for an eye and eyesight test. This is a test by an optometrist or doctor. There is
      also an entitlement to further tests at regular intervals; the optometrist doing the
      first test can recommend when the next should be. Employers only have to pay for
      spectacles if special ones (for example, prescribed for the distance at which the
      screen is viewed) are needed and normal ones cannot be used.

Comment

Working...
      X