• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

X months contract, with 1 week get out clause

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My new contract is 1 weeks notice with no contract length specified. Its more along the lines of until the project is complete. I know what projects the client has won recently and know they should be running a year with contractor being purged from the 60% completion mark. At worst that's 6 months; if I'm needed for the whole project, a year; if the company wins more then longer if I perform and there's need for contractors on a second project.

When you get to know how to read a job spec, do background research and know what to ask the pimps and ClientCo you can get a good grasp on the real length of contract involved.

Comment

Originally posted by brightbits View Post
      I've been offered a contract, its 3 months long, but there is a clause that says they can end the contract with 1 weeks notice for any reason they fancy. Does this not make the 3 months totally pointless? There is no security at all that I'm going to have work more than a week in the future..
      Yep! Take the 3 months as a guideline only. Generally they will have budget for this length of time and it will have to be reviewed after that. There is a risk that the project gets canned and the budget cut, in which case you are out. I know people who have been dropped after a few weeks of a contract but others started on a 3 month contract and stayed 5 years.

Along with the lack of job security you will get no annual leave, sick pay, pension, training, etc, etc. Hopefully that explains why your daily rate is twice what they are paying their permies.
      Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by brightbits View Post
        Hi guys,

I've been offered a contract, its 3 months long, but there is a clause that says they can end the contract with 1 weeks notice for any reason they fancy. Does this not make the 3 months totally pointless? There is no security at all that I'm going to have work more than a week in the future..
        Always think of the contract period (3 months in this case) as an estimate of how long you'll be working with the client.

If the project/work is behind schedule you could be asked to renew at the end of the 3 months.

If the project/work ends early/client runs out of money/you're 5h1te at what you do then the contract will end early.

Beware of clients/agents offering to give you a longer term contract in exchange for paying you less - this "promise" is not worth the paper it's written on.

Also... hang around this forum and you'll learn a whole lot more about contracting
        Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
          Beware of clients/agents offering to give you a longer term contract in exchange for paying you less - this "promise" is not worth the paper it's written on.
          Pay attention to this point, it's very true.

As you've noticed and all the posts above have confirmed in our working approach the contract term is next to meaningless, you're a disposable, flexible resource and the word security is not applicable as a contractor. The rate should reflect the reality.

If you're not comfortable with these facts then contracting won't suit you, it's not for everyone.

Comment

6 month contract with immediate termination on both sides....

And that was at my instigation. Rate is a bit low and client notorious for wanting a contractor who was originally engaged to do X to suddenly start doing Y, but without paying the rate that they really should do for Y. HR team who agreed contract terms were fine with it, but I'm not convinced they've actually let the part of the business I work in know that I have those terms!

I'm too much of a professional to walk away with no notice, but its nice to know the option is there if they start being silly.

But in the past 2 years I've had 2 clients where I went in to do 6 weeks work for them and ended up staying 5-6 months. On another occasion someone came back from maternity leave early and they decided that she could cover the work I was doing and we politely agreed an exit plan. I was a bit p****d off, but that's the way it goes.........

Comment

Must admit I've never been binned half way through but it does happen.... Client does what they want in most cases.

However, I've found that a lot of clients don't even think of this notice period. As far as they are concerned if they sign you for 3 months its 3 months which is obviously good for the contractor.

However, it can work the other way. If you've got a client who leaves it until the last minute and, for the sake or argument will only offer a month at a time, then it means every month you're getting zero notice.

Better to have 3 month contract with them having the ability to can you with 1 weeks notice. At least you get 1 weeks, whereas otherwise, you may end up working till 5pm on 31st of the month not knowing where you stand for 9am next day.

Been there done that
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X