• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Chargable hours whilst working away

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chargable hours whilst working away

Hi everyone

I'm new to the contracting game, and have just finished my first month outside IR35 with a managed company. My contract states my place of work as my client's UK office however they now want me to visit their offices in India for two trips (5 days then 12 days).

As I charge by the hour, should I only charge for the hours that i am actually in the Indian offices, or as i will effectively be away from home for three weeks (including losing weekends etc.) should I charge more? i.e. a fixed number of hours per day or something?

Does anyone know the correct etiquette?

Many thanks in advance

Alex

Charge as much as you can get away with. If you are working through an agent they will probably be able to advise you on what is best (for both you and them).
    Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

For India I would charge them for Business Class air fare, plus I would bill them for travelling time (the flights), then charge for all the time spent outside the hotel (i.e. all travelling time is chargeable). It's the least they can do, since they're outsourcing over there the savings will be immense. Their systems will be tulip, but then that's their problem. Let them off the weekends, and go and enjoy yourself, but make sure you charge your room tab as well.
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

overseas expenses

Surely they should be discussing this with you before you go.

Are they just going to tell you to go and pay whatever you invoice or do they have some plan?

Many companies will just expect you to charge time in the office and no more. You may decide that on these terms you would rather not go so then you negotiate.

OTOH some companies are quite reasonable about it but you really ought to know what is expected by asking them, not us.

tim

Comment

I travel around a lot (outside of my contractual obligations and place of work) and its give and take really. Depends on your relationship with the client. I sat down and discussed it with the client when it became obvious that it was going to be regular for me to travel abroad (one week in a month).

The client accepted that not only was I travelling abroad but I was also doing quite a lot of extra hours in the office too even though I am on a day rate. We have come up with a satisfactory solution that we are both happy with. I work long hours during the week if required and travel abroad for one week a month (4 days). In return I get to work from home on Fridays every week (and I can take it easy), get all my expenses abroad paid for and any flights are generally taken within business hours (i.e. not a Sunday night for example).

Suits me, suits them. Talk to your client. Communication is the key to a successful relationship.

Comment

Wise words from Oxtail. You MUST sort this out before you go otherwise your client can turn round after the trip and say, "well its on the contract - daily rate and you pay the expenses" - would make for quite an expensive trip for you. Usually the client will be reasonable; work something out that you are both happy with. Otherwise, don't do the trip.
            "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Thanks all - that's great, I'll get it sorted out before I go.

And yes, I will definately get them to pay business class as well as all expenses!

Comment

Originally posted by AlexWhittles
                Thanks all - that's great, I'll get it sorted out before I go.

And yes, I will definately get them to pay business class as well as all expenses!
                You'll be lucky but you never know. If they have an HR maunal look and see what the prmies get - or find the policy. I checked this out when I want to aus.

As a result of this I charged the 24 hours flight time each way. 8 of it at time and a half and 8 at double time. Then there was the rest day at the other end. But since I was working that was charged. They stumped up the hotel bill, car and 400 au$ pw incidentals. They would only pay cattle class, but would do a fully refundable fully flexible econoy. So I cashed it and bought a restricted business seat for the same price.

I simply presented all this to the management, saying "this is how it works for salried employees. My company is willing to do this if you map this onto our charge rates in the same way, here is what it'll be".

Comment

Working...
                X