• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

White van PC man

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is good busines. My father makes a living doing it via his own company which has grown rapidly over the last 3 years.

I'm thinking about heading into that as well but I have some secrets for success by analysing his mistakes that I'm not overly willing to share (apart from for a price).

Not only that, if someone gives you fifty quid out of petty cash, forget to give them an invoice and spend it down the pub quick

I will say that you NEED two people on the job. One to take calls and manage your workload and one to do the work. That is the ONLY thing I'm telling
    Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Originally posted by TheMonkey
      That is good busines. My father makes a living doing it via his own company which has grown rapidly over the last 3 years.

I'm thinking about heading into that as well but I have some secrets for success by analysing his mistakes that I'm not overly willing to share (apart from for a price).

Not only that, if someone gives you fifty quid out of petty cash, forget to give them an invoice and spend it down the pub quick

I will say that you NEED two people on the job. One to take calls and manage your workload and one to do the work. That is the ONLY thing I'm telling

Thanks TheMonkey. Does your Dad employ others since his business has grown?

So why don't you go into business with your old man - or are you going to nick all his clients?

Comment

Originally posted by PropertyCrashUK
        Thanks TheMonkey. Does your Dad employ others since his business has grown?

So why don't you go into business with your old man - or are you going to nick all his clients?
        Yeah he employs 3 sub-monkeys part time or full time and manages to land about 6-8 jobs per monkey a day under both fixed cost support and per incident. Ironically one of the guys he employs is my old boss who is earning pittance now so I can take the piss out of him

Also, I wouldn't work with him or for him because he's a c*u*n*t.

I have my own list of clients from a company I used to work for that has gone under. Basically it lists most rich people with computers in Nottingham, Derby, Leicester and Newark. I'm going to move out of the city and work doing that. Oh and electrical contracting as I'm thinking about doing a C&G in electrics as it's more stable than IT! Keep a finger in each pot and you're sorted.
        Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Personally I would advise against 'Home IT support' I have still not been paid by top ML exployee with an address on Park Lane. I have had some very well off clients who prefered to bodge on rather than call me. I do a robust install so very little ongoing work. You would need to sail close to the wind to make any real money in that game.

Computer support is not a respected occupation in IT anymore. It is seen as COST not as a benefit.

It was OK in the 70's and 80's when it was not possible to own a computer without good support. Nowadays there are plenty of 'volunteer' workers who do this as a sideline for little return or for free if they are the 'whizzkid cousin'.

I would like to see you suceed but recommend you take a good gaze at the dark-side first.

2c
          error
          jobjock www.dreamturbine.com

Comment

Originally posted by errorista
            Personally I would advise against 'Home IT support' I have still not been paid by top ML exployee with an address on Park Lane. I have had some very well off clients who prefered to bodge on rather than call me. I do a robust install so very little ongoing work. You would need to sail close to the wind to make any real money in that game.

Computer support is not a respected occupation in IT anymore. It is seen as COST not as a benefit.

It was OK in the 70's and 80's when it was not possible to own a computer without good support. Nowadays there are plenty of 'volunteer' workers who do this as a sideline for little return or for free if they are the 'whizzkid cousin'.

I would like to see you suceed but recommend you take a good gaze at the dark-side first.

2c
            error

But what about all this MS Media Centre, Intel Viv stuff? That is all about the digital home? Home integration? Isn't that going to make the PC white van man role a real money-making business?

Satellite dish installers made a mint when Sky came out and there seems to be loads around still.

Comment

Originally posted by PropertyCrashUK
              But what about all this MS Media Centre, Intel Viv stuff? That is all about the digital home? Home integration? Isn't that going to make the PC white van man role a real money-making business?.
              yep, could be a money earner. All you need to do is work out how to get the leads.
              i.e. when PC World (spit!) sell Mr Crosby a media center, telliing him he can interface with his wireless and his latest Blue-Ray shiny disc thingy and he just needs to pay PC World (spit!) lodas of £ to do it for him.

How will you get in there first ?
              Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Originally posted by MrsGoof
                yep, could be a money earner. All you need to do is work out how to get the leads.
                i.e. when PC World (spit!) sell Mr Crosby a media center, telliing him he can interface with his wireless and his latest Blue-Ray shiny disc thingy and he just needs to pay PC World (spit!) lodas of £ to do it for him.

How will you get in there first ?

No idea but... surely this is an avenue to explore, especially in the coming years with all this home integration? I mean, if it was possible to be a white van man person doing this and earning 40Kish would that not be better than being a contractor forever chasing contractors, forever relocating, forever worrying abou IR35?

If PC people could become future equivalents of plumbers, sparks, kitchen fitters then surely that would be a more enjoyable type of business to be in - your own boss in the true sense, working with a 15-20 mile radius and having customers come to you?

I am not saying it would be easy. I am not saying that it is viable now - I do not know - but it might just be the business of tomorrow??? If so, the how discussion is important isn't it?

Comment

By the way, PC World charge a few pence short of £70 for a home visit PC health-check.

Comment

Working...
                  X