• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Swimming against the tide

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swimming against the tide

In my fifth year of working on Agile projects, I am missing the old way of doing things.

Is Agile/Scrum going to be inevitable for all of us eventually or will it always be possible for software engineers to find contract work that is non-Agile?

Looking at Jobserve for Java dev roles it seems at the moment ~50% of contracts mention Agile. What is the high-water mark going to be and when?

Originally posted by Wils View Post
    In my fifth year of working on Agile projects, I am missing the old way of doing things.
    Me too.

Is Agile/Scrum going to be inevitable for all of us eventually or will it always be possible for software engineers to find contract work that is non-Agile?
    Most of it will go this way, for the simple fact that most people don't really understand or utilise Agile correctly. What they do like to do is hack. If they substitute the word Agile for hack, they get away with it, which they wouldn't have done in the old days.

Looking at Jobserve for Java dev roles it seems at the moment ~50% of contracts mention Agile. What is the high-water mark going to be and when?
    Probably 90%, but who really knows.

At the end of the day, you know Agile, so just do it the way the client wants and keep invoicing.
    Last edited by nomadd; 5 October 2012, 14:57. Reason: Typo
    nomadd liked this post

Comment

I don't know how many work environments are truly agile. My guess is that clients think that they will look a bit antiquated if they don't say that they are agile.

When you see BA ads in jobserve mentioning Scrum, I think OK, if the BA is not the product owner they are just going to be an extra comm layer between the product owner and the dev team.

I also think that in terms of CMMI there are a few companies at level 0 who class themselves as Agile!

Comment

Originally posted by Antman View Post
        I don't know how many work environments are truly agile. My guess is that clients think that they will look a bit antiquated if they don't say that they are agile.

When you see BA ads in jobserve mentioning Scrum, I think OK, if the BA is not the product owner they are just going to be an extra comm layer between the product owner and the dev team.

I also think that in terms of CMMI there are a few companies at level 0 who class themselves as Agile!
        Certainly agree with clients saying they are Agile, but aren't anything like. I've had the 'is the BA the Product Owner' discussion a number of times and views differ. Is a BA (who may be new to the organisation especially as a contractor) qualified to make business decisions on behalf of a sponsor? I've worked on a number of projects where it's impossible to identify one person as the 'Product Owner' and those that can take the role have deep knowledge of the business, and the way that organisation works. Even if there is just one PO from the business, I think the 'layer' between them and the actual team can be important - I've been told a number of times in the past that a PO/Ambassador user whatever doesn't want to talk to tech teams (rightly or wrongly or based on their own experiences)

Sorry, a bit bored obviously! It is Friday afternoon.

Comment

Originally posted by dezze View Post
          Certainly agree with clients saying they are Agile, but aren't anything like. I've had the 'is the BA the Product Owner' discussion a number of times and views differ. Is a BA (who may be new to the organisation especially as a contractor) qualified to make business decisions on behalf of a sponsor? I've worked on a number of projects where it's impossible to identify one person as the 'Product Owner' and those that can take the role have deep knowledge of the business, and the way that organisation works. Even if there is just one PO from the business, I think the 'layer' between them and the actual team can be important - I've been told a number of times in the past that a PO/Ambassador user whatever doesn't want to talk to tech teams (rightly or wrongly or based on their own experiences)

Sorry, a bit bored obviously! It is Friday afternoon.
          Exactly, it more the case of BA as expensive secretary.

Comment

By Agile you mean having daily standups and scrums and stories? Yeah most people have no fkin idea that what they are doing is being completely NON agile because they don't bloody understand the process.

Comment

The last place I worked at that was "agile" we'd end up with these twice weekly meetings where 10 devs would sit around a cramped table detailing what we were working on. It would usually take two hours each day, some of the devs would witter on ad nauseam for great lengths of time over the slightest thing. Two of the devs would talk in a barely audible mumble, they may as well have just sat there mute for 10 minutes instead of talk. I'd barely be able to stay awake during them.

We also had to use this "agile" software to log what we were doing.. It was the most non-intuitive piece of tulip that I have ever used. Sometimes you'd spend hours just trying to update something because of the 5 or 6 pages you had to go through to get to the right area, filter the list, find the right one and FFS just let me do my ******* job!! ARGH!!!

Comment

Just say "no". Of course you will then not be give the role so you need to do it subtly : say "yes" then do the PM/implementation in whichever way you see fit.

When they break out the card pack talk endlessly about how hard it is to estimate SW timescales then consistently put in long bids. Your associate employee contemporaries will spot what you're up to in a heartbeat and join in enthusiastically.

Game over for Agile as the disconsolate PMs return grudgingly to the old ways. If they disn't start off there in the first place, with Agile words wrapped around a non-existent methodology.

This strategy works for all workplace buzzwords : say "yes", look keen, ask intelligent questions and ignore everything they say.

Boo

Comment

WHS

Total load of bollocks IMHO. Working with a team now who insists on Agile. Sprints, stories? What a load of cobblers.

From week to week, month to month they haven't got a grip on what they're doing. Give me a good old project plan & gannt chart anyday. All mumbo jumbo for the short attention spanned youth.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by teclo View Post
                    The last place I worked at that was "agile" we'd end up with these twice weekly meetings where 10 devs would sit around a cramped table detailing what we were working on. It would usually take two hours each day, some of the devs would witter on ad nauseam for great lengths of time over the slightest thing. Two of the devs would talk in a barely audible mumble, they may as well have just sat there mute for 10 minutes instead of talk. I'd barely be able to stay awake during them.

We also had to use this "agile" software to log what we were doing.. It was the most non-intuitive piece of tulip that I have ever used. Sometimes you'd spend hours just trying to update something because of the 5 or 6 pages you had to go through to get to the right area, filter the list, find the right one and FFS just let me do my ******* job!! ARGH!!!
                    No sitting at agile meetings, keeps them short.
                    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Working...
                    X