• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do seasoned contractors follow up on applications

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never call to chase them, not because I don't think it's a good idea (it probably is in a small %age of cases) but simply because I can't be arsed with getting passed around and fobbed off. Fire and forget for me, which keeps me sane too.

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
      I never call to chase them, not because I don't think it's a good idea (it probably is in a small %age of cases) but simply because I can't be arsed with getting passed around and fobbed off. Fire and forget for me, which keeps me sane too.
      +1 (times 10 to the power 100)
      nomadd liked this post

Comment

I think it depends on your approach. I know a few contractors who go for the "scattergun approach" and apply for every role they feel they are even loosely suited for.

I prefer to be more selective, i wait for one that matches the following criteria:
        1) Pays a decent daily rate
        2) In an industry sector i like working in (i personally love retail)
        3) Decent match for my skillset - (possibility oflearnig something new)

I then email the agent and phone them a few hours later. I try and build a decent relationship with the agents, as there are actually a fair few decent ones out there. If they know you well, they are more likely to put you forward for roles.

I would rather spend an extra few weeks on the bench than take a role i didn't think was a perfect fit. Being a developer, it is important to stay current, i know a few devs who have jumped at a 12 month gig using older technologies who have struggled to find the next gig as their skills weren't "current"

Comment

I've done it a handful of times, but I don't think I ever actually got through to the agent so I gave up

They were always "in meetings" or something, so I view it as a waste of time now. I just carpet bomb jobserve throughout the day and wait for the phone to ring.

Comment

I've not even had to bother with the jobsites for over a year now.

Most of the decent agents have my CV and I'm connected to them on Linkedin.
            As other have said, a quick email and Linkedin status update 4-5 weeks before contract end date is sufficient.
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
            X