• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

45 Day Payment Terms - Ridiculous or what?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

currently on 60 day terms with monthly billing and although it's a hard initial hit (depending on warchest) it can have its benefits.
    as long as the company doesn't go bust/screw you over for the final few payments you've got a built in buffer to find the next gig.
    Your friendly neighbourhood VirtualMonkey - Not giving financial advice since...well...ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Loew View Post
      Yep did have it IR35 checked.
      That can take 3-5 days so this rush this is a load of rubbish no?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualMonkey View Post
        currently on 60 day terms with monthly billing and although it's a hard initial hit (depending on warchest) it can have its benefits.
        as long as the company doesn't go bust/screw you over for the final few payments you've got a built in buffer to find the next gig.
        Ah, some light in this tunnel.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          That can take 3-5 days so this rush this is a load of rubbish no?
          No, as part of my accountants' services they check contracts for IR35 compliance.

P

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualMonkey View Post
            Yeah, I had an agency try to "sell" it to me that way. "Look, if we pay you on 45 day terms then you will still be getting paid for 6 weeks after you leave!" Yeah, right. Great idea. Not. I'll have my money as soon as I can get my sticky mitts on it thank you very much.

Peter Loew, they saw you coming mate. They even slipped in a clause saying you won't get paid until they do which they will use if the client doesn't pay them. I hope you have agency failure insurance because that is an awful lot of credit you are extending to them.

My advice to you is:

1. Invoice weekly
            2. Don't opt out of the agency regs next time
            3. Not taking away from your negligence in signing the contract without reading it, but the people you got to review it should have flagged the draconian payment terms, in my opinion.
            Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

lucky you

I am working through a small consultancy and only now have they said that payment terms are 45 days. I think this is absurd. Yes, I should have made sure prior to starting work but it all happened so fast!

When I questioned this, I was told the auto email I get back from the system is a marking for getting paid up to 45 days later. I am thinking of invoicing every 2 weeks rather than monthly.

Clearly they await payment from the client co prior to paying me.

Anyone on absurd payment terms like this?

P
              I am 90 days EOM with one of my directs

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
                Yeah, I had an agency try to "sell" it to me that way. "Look, if we pay you on 45 day terms then you will still be getting paid for 6 weeks after you leave!" Yeah, right. Great idea. Not. I'll have my money as soon as I can get my sticky mitts on it thank you very much.

Peter Loew, they saw you coming mate. They even slipped in a clause saying you won't get paid until they do which they will use if the client doesn't pay them. I hope you have agency failure insurance because that is an awful lot of credit you are extending to them.

My advice to you is:

1. Invoice weekly
                3. Not taking away from your negligence in signing the contract without reading it, but the people you got to review it should have flagged the draconian payment terms, in my opinion.
                Funnily enough I was about to renew my PCGPlus membership.

I'm not worried about the client not paying (they're a huge well known client). I'm not THAT worried about the consultancy going bust either. I am worried about late payments by the client which will mean hell for me. I will outright refuse to work if payments take longer than 45 days / 6 weeks in any case. No choice but to test this. I have 4 weeks to go before payment.

Btw, this isn't an agency, they're a consultancy with different clients. I and other contractors are considered 'associates' to this consultancy.

Comment

I am working through a small consultancy and only now have they said that payment terms are 45 days. I think this is absurd. Yes, I should have made sure prior to starting work but it all happened so fast!

When I questioned this, I was told the auto email I get back from the system is a marking for getting paid up to 45 days later. I am thinking of invoicing every 2 weeks rather than monthly.

Clearly they await payment from the client co prior to paying me.

Anyone on absurd payment terms like this?

P
                  45 Days. One full month, Plus 14 days.

Just been paid though, thank fook.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post

My advice to you is:

1. Invoice weekly
                    What has opting out got to do with payment terms?
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                      What has opting out got to do with payment terms?
                      KUATB. His contract has a clause saying he wont get paid until the agency gets paid. Therefore if agency dont get paid and he's opted out, he'll never see that money owed.

BTW, I also agree with wandered. Anyone reviewing that contract should have flagged the payment terms.
                      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
                      X