• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Got "tricked" into this contracting business

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Feck me just don't turn up, nothing will happen.

Move on.
    Yes, my thoughts too. Slavery is illegal! No one can make you do anything. Walk away.

Comment

Norfolk, you are probably a temporary employee, in fact almost certainly. You'd know if you were a business. The agency probably will tell you are a contractor, and try to treat you as a "business". As a temporary employee they can't. Read your contract carefully, i.e. with whatever Umbrella co you've gone with. If necessary go and pay a visit to a lawyer.

I think you could probably just hand in 4 weeks notice and there's probably not a lot they can do.

The other thing is this is a UK agency, so they're going to chase you through the Swedish legal system....pull the other one, absolutely not.

You probably do need professional advice on this but I suspect you could get out of your contract fairly easily.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        Norfolk, you are probably a temporary employee, in fact almost certainly. You'd know if you were a business. The agency probably will tell you are a contractor, and try to treat you as a "business". As a temporary employee they can't. Read your contract carefully, i.e. with whatever Umbrella co you've gone with. If necessary go and pay a visit to a lawyer.
        That's correct, the whole "business"-thing they're pulling is very familiar. I'm not employed by anyone and the contract looks designed as if I had a company in place providing the services I do.
        I think you could probably just hand in 4 weeks notice and there's probably not a lot they can do.

The other thing is this is a UK agency, so they're going to chase you through the Swedish legal system....pull the other one, absolutely not.

You probably do need professional advice on this but I suspect you could get out of your contract fairly easily.
        Yes, I've actually spoken to a lawyer who said similar things as you do. Hopefully I can get out of this without committing any breach of contract.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
        X