• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Avoid Aston Carter at all costs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jeez you C guys get 500-700 per day? I am a contractor but in the graphic design industry...350 a day is the absolute max, and most are on 200-250...

Comment

Originally posted by jonson View Post
      jeez you C guys get 500-700 per day? I am a contractor but in the graphic design industry...350 a day is the absolute max, and most are on 200-250...
      There are some on a lot more than that as well. Sadly I'm not one of them.

Did I mention I'm half-man, half-horse? Sadly the wrong half :-(

Comment

At the place I'm at now, contractor costs need to be shown in project budgets which are internally unrestricted. One guy found out he was getting just over half what the agency was being paid by the client (£325 from £600). His mistake was telling the agency he really needed the role.

Comment

Originally posted by craig1 View Post
          At the place I'm at now, contractor costs need to be shown in project budgets which are internally unrestricted. One guy found out he was getting just over half what the agency was being paid by the client (£325 from £600). His mistake was telling the agency he really needed the role.
          If that ever happened to me then I'd just go and tell the agency I was wanting another £150/day or I was telling the client, helping the client recruit a replacement through another agency and walking off site.
          Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

I dont run contracts at less than 18% mark up. Unless it is for a bulk client. Who I avoid working for.

My rule is, if the contractor is happy with his rate and the client is happy with their rate and my financial director is happy with the margin, then what is the worry?

Unsurprisingly though, if I am forced to work to a set margin, then I work less enthusiastically and the client gets a worse service.

Also, the client arent paying a contractor rate + an agency fee. They are paying an all inclusive fee for the service.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonAgent View Post

My rule is, if the contractor is happy with his rate and the client is happy with their rate and my financial director is happy with the margin, then what is the worry?
              Makes sense to me. I do not care what anyone else is on, none of my business.
              "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
                Makes sense to me. I do not care what anyone else is on, none of my business.
                Seriously? If the agent told you client was prepared to pay you 350 a day and didnt tell you client had given him a budget of 700 day, which allows the agent to pocket 350 a day out of you, you still wouldnt care!?
                I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by AnonAgent View Post
                  I dont run contracts at less than 18% mark up. Unless it is for a bulk client. Who I avoid working for.

Unsurprisingly though, if I am forced to work to a set margin, then I work less enthusiastically and the client gets a worse service.

Also, the client arent paying a contractor rate + an agency fee. They are paying an all inclusive fee for the service.
                  So would you happily charge a client £500 for someone you are only paying £200??

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                    Seriously? If the agent told you client was prepared to pay you 350 a day and didnt tell you client had given him a budget of 700 day, which allows the agent to pocket 350 a day out of you, you still wouldnt care!?
                    If you are looking for a 700 rate, why would you bother even interviewing for a 350 role? The only reason an agent is able to skim a candidate is when the contractor has been on the bench for a while, where in, he needs the role badly. I always put a minimum figure in front of the agent before him/her putting my CV forward, and stick to it. They always come back with a lower rate, and I do not budge. I don't care, if the agent is putting a 100% margin on my rate. If the client is happy to pay that rate, who am I to bother. I do make sure to know the margin during the first few months, and use this during the renewal, but that is a different story altogether.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                      I've never discussed my rate with anyone
                      See, this I don't understand. Surely if all contractors were more open about their rates then it can only benefit everyone?
                      "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
                      "See?"

Comment

Working...
                      X