• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How Much Experience is Required

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Much Experience is Required

Hi All,

I have been researching into becoming a contractor and although I have found numerous positions out there I am struggling to get a handle on how much experience is needed to become a contract BA. I appreciate there is no general rule for when to become a contracter, but the job adverts and specs that I have read are very vague with regards to experience. The jobs that I have been looking at have been the lower rates as I only have 3 years experience across 2 jobs working as a BA in the financial services. I feel I have got a good understanding of the risks and benefits of becoming a contracter from talking to contracters in different roles, but would appreciate some insight from BA contracters as I'm aware more experience may be required than in other roles.

I am looking to become a contracter in the near future, but wanted to glean some opinion on how much experience I needed to gain to make the jump. I have read mixed opinions on the skills and qualifications needed. I am keen to complete my ISEB, but my current employer is not willing to sponsor me at the current time. I am considering funding myself as I feel it will benefit my career, but wanted to get an opinion on how valuable it is in terms of winning work as a contracter.

I am also keen to hear about anyones experience of becoming a contracter at an early stage in their career and whether their age has had any negative impact on winning contracts.

I would be very grateful to any advice offered.

Thanks

Originally posted by JHG123 View Post
    Hi All,

I have been researching into becoming a contractor and although I have found numerous positions out there I am struggling to get a handle on how much experience is needed to become a contract BA. I appreciate there is no general rule for when to become a contracter, but the job adverts and specs that I have read are very vague with regards to experience. The jobs that I have been looking at have been the lower rates as I only have 3 years experience across 2 jobs working as a BA in the financial services. I feel I have got a good understanding of the risks and benefits of becoming a contracter from talking to contracters in different roles, but would appreciate some insight from BA contracters as I'm aware more experience may be required than in other roles.

I am looking to become a contracter in the near future, but wanted to glean some opinion on how much experience I needed to gain to make the jump. I have read mixed opinions on the skills and qualifications needed. I am keen to complete my ISEB, but my current employer is not willing to sponsor me at the current time. I am considering funding myself as I feel it will benefit my career, but wanted to get an opinion on how valuable it is in terms of winning work as a contracter.

I am also keen to hear about anyones experience of becoming a contracter at an early stage in their career and whether their age has had any negative impact on winning contracts.

I would be very grateful to any advice offered.

Thanks
    Don't wish to be rude, but Use Search.

Seriously, the same question is asked on an almost daily basis... (EDIT: Try the post immediately below the one you created - 3 pages of discussion on all about going contract...)

Short answer? Now is definitely not the best time to be considering contracting; however, you may get lucky. Still, be prepared for the worst.
    Last edited by nomadd; 26 March 2012, 20:42.
    nomadd liked this post

Comment

7 years

Comment

Personally I'd been programming BASIC of different flavours for 20 years before I went contracting. I was a late bloomer.

As much as clientco thinks they need, in direct comparison to the other contractors they are considering.

If you're up against someone with 4 years and you have 5, possible winner. If you're up against someone with 10 years experience and you are on 5 then probable loser.

The market is pretty dire at the moment, IMHO, and there are a lot of very experienced contractors in all areas available.

And there is always the luck factor, being in the right place at the right time talking to the right agent about the right client.

GL in your search
        Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

It is the person, not the time

I left Uni and was contracting within 18 months, so experience is not really a factor. You must have the right amount of experience for the particular role you are applying for. Each role is different. I was only a programmer, but I was a good one and I had a lot of confidence that I could do the role very well.

I had the professional qualifications to back up my confidence and I feel this is something you must keep on top of in the Contracting world. I actually make sure I take at least one exam each year. Last year I took three.

The contracting market is tough. People always talk down to us (usually because we earn more than them), but they don't understand the pressure we remain under. We have to educate ourselves, pay for training, exams, holidays, bank holidays and often live away from home.

Contracting is a way of life and you have to get into that mindset before you consider embarking on the change of career. It is a dog-eat-dog world out there now and is a fairly difficult time in the market. Having said that, I have usually secured a contract before leaving another contract.

I would say... If you are good at what you do... go for it. If you have ANY doubts or hesitations at all, don't jump.

Comment

Working...
          X