• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client brings in new third party to examine contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client brings in new third party to examine contract

I've got an issue that I'm sure can be answered here. I've had a contract with a client for over 4 years and it was recently cancelled with 3 months notice. This, the client said, was to give them more time to enable them to "improving their future service needs", which a new boss has decreed. I currently offer no service levels, nor do I charge for any. They also stated in the notification to terminate that they would come up with a plan of what they wanted and send it to me to provide my new costings for it. With just about a month to go now I've never received any further written information from them, but they have brought in a consultant to work it all out for them.
    This consultant has constantly barraged me on the telephone for quick prices (not on the contract work, mind, on little bits) and been verbally short with me, probing me for answers that would, in my view, write the document for him! I should also explain that he has seen given copies of the contract in force while he has been working in the client's office.
    Now I always disclaim from working with any clients' other third parties and refuse to discuss any sensitive information or pass on anything that would normally require a Non-disclosure Agreement; I also Retain Legal Title on all my work. I've also never received any written (or verbal) instructions from the client that it is okay to pass information about them over to him. When I last asked him if he could confirm that he is acting on their authorisation it all turned nasty and it was implied by both him and the client that I was causing a problem.

Can I be forced to hand over information to this third party (consultant) and negotiate with him? I understand in the 1999 Contract Act that third parties are excluded unless expressly included within a contract.

I wonder if he is so terse and demanding on the telephone to any other potential providers as he is with me?

I'm still working the contract to the letter of the agreement (for my client) until the date of termination.

Many thanks for those that can offer some help on this.

Working...
X