• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract offer - no interview

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had repeat clients contact me and ask if I can start a project for them without interview. Never had one want me to start without some form of contact though.

Been offered a couple of contracts after interview but decided to turn them down for different reasons.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

No Interview?

Seems very strange... depends on the contract I suppose. If you are well known and been recommended then the client may be happy just to accept you without an interview.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlotteHughes View Post
        Seems very strange... depends on the contract I suppose. If you are well known and been recommended then the client may be happy just to accept you without an interview.
        He just has to send a cheque for £5000 and once it's cleared he can't start straight away.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Regent View Post
          I've being offered a 3 month role without an interview and have received the contract paperwork.

Just seems a slightly unorthodox approach and this hasn't happened to me before. The client company are going on the recommendation of agency and not one I've used before.

The good thing about LinkedIn is that I've been able to verify the agent's credentials and has a number of very good recommendations, however it still seems rather odd the client company doesn't want to even have a quick 10 minute chat over the phone to discuss the assignment.

Was wondering how common this is and if this has happened to other contractors?
          A few years back I was in the exact same situation except had a provision where my contract could be terminated in the first week with no notice. Apparently the client had got fed up with people doing good in interviews but being crap at the job. Was cautious about it but went for the role, ended up at the client for over 2 years
          Last edited by aa2006; 10 January 2012, 16:30.

Comment

I don't think I would be happy taking any job on with no interview, they way I would would be if it was very short certainly I would not take a long contract.

Comment

Having looked at the pros and cons, I've decided to 'go with the flow' and signed the contract.

In my experience, I've had good vibes through telephone interviews which have turned out to be some of the worse contracts I've had and vice versa.

I did think of asking for a quick chat on the phone with the client company but can't see the benefit as I don't think you ever know what a contract will bring until you set foot in the door.

Thanks for all the replies anyway - this is a new one for me and hopefully will work out okay.

Comment

I did a course on business management once and it was there in black and white in the text book on Human Resources management; interviews are completely useless. You only need to look at the CV; in an interview the only point would be to verify that they're truthful and they're not an alco, but that's all you need to do. Even if you get on with them in the interview they could turn out quite differently when you start to work with them. That's not to say for a permie job you wouldn't have one because you can at least discuss what the candidate wants to do and clarify a few points, but it shouldn't be a "huge laborious waste of time". I once needed a contractor for a short term project and I just decided on the basis of the CV, like tons of experience contracting on the technology we were using...doh!! no brainer, unfortunately I was forced to accept a couple of inexperienced guys from a partner company, who were nice but not that useful.
                Last edited by BlasterBates; 10 January 2012, 17:16.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  He just has to send a cheque for £5000 and once it's cleared he can't start straight away.
                  This is, I believe, a professional forum. I think your post would be applicable, if I'd posted in general, else not applicable.

Comment

Odd

That seems very odd. Perhaps, someone has recommended you. I would double check before signing. You have to see if it is genuine so a quick call does not harm. That would clear the water and best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Regent View Post
                      This is, I believe, a professional forum. I think your post would be applicable, if I'd posted in general, else not applicable.
                      With regards to this post above, the 'red' comment in my 'settings' menu option also doesn't seem to be applicable. Wonder who this was from? ...

Comment

Working...
                      X