• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are there obvious clues in how to spot a fake IT job advert?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are there obvious clues in how to spot a fake IT job advert?

Any ideas?
    Last edited by Boolean; 8 May 2006, 11:20.

Vague job description.

Comment

Given that 95% of ads on Jobserve are fake anyway, it would probably save a lot of time if you just assumed it was.

You used to see ads that said something like "don't phone, just email in your CV" - that is highly likely to be fake. Obviously any statement that references are required up-front means it is a fake for sure.

Comment

If it gets you on the agency database, and subsequently into a contract then wgas? Although with more agencies using online searches (e.g. CW Jobs) there's less need to post "CV attractors".
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

In addition to the above try asking the agent some searching questions on the contract role that they would have the answers to if they were in contact with a client - and of course the name of the client. The wrong mix of skills and too many skills quite often give clues ie I once saw an add to deploy Websphere on Weblogic - that would have been fun.

You may also find that the same job has been advertised with several different locations.

The biggest clue is if the add is from a certain group of recruitment companies.

I don't see the need for fake advertising - all they have to ask is register with us and if they are good enough people will. It shows me fake job posters have no faith in their business skills. Fake advertisng only gets peoples backs up when they find they have wasted their time and its exceptionally cruel to those who have not worked for a while.

Comment

Anything that bigs you up in the advert is guaranteed to be crap because they're trying to sell it too hard!
            Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

I don't really care about that... i work on the sales mans approach

1000 leads = 100 call backs = 10 potentials = 1 contract

Gotta love the numbers
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet

Gotta love the numbers
                Ironically I've not actually not got offered a contract I've applied for yet! Strange!

Then again I am an agent's cum receptacle as far as "in skills" go and I'll work for peanuts and take abuse for a wage.
                Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Originally posted by privateeye
                  In addition to the above try asking the agent some searching questions on the contract role that they would have the answers to if they were in contact with a client - and of course the name of the client.
                  Has that EVER worked?

I generally find that agencies are extremely cagey about revealing their clients identity, generally because just like we don't know if they're 100% genuine, they can't be 100% that we aren't another agent trying to bum an easy lead.

The only time I think an agent revealed the client to me straight off the bat, the agent turned out to be a complete noob who had just got into the game.

I would agree with the refs up front thing though. I generally never supply refs unless I've sat the first interview.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet

Gotta love the numbers
                    My experience is

100 applications -> 10 interviews -> 1 offer

Comment

Working...
                    X