• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

15% cut rate for all contractors at Goldman Sachs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You could always accept the 15% rate cut in return for 15% less work. If you are doing 37.5 hrs a week for instance you could take off 5.6 hours

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
      85% of something is better than 100% of nothing so, you answered your own question in your last sentence.
      Absolutely WBBS

You have my empathy, having just had a cut here too. There are a few bits and pieces out there, so if you are inclined start looking.
      Last edited by Scrag Meister; 15 December 2011, 08:54.
      Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

GS is another one of the banks that are doling out the cuts but it is your choice whether to take it, attempt to negotiate or leave it.........

but if your contract is terminated, it could leave you short of options as things look to be getting worse before they are going to get better.

The wave of job cuts has only led to more workers moving into the freelance market meaning more competition for places. I have been in touch with contractors who have applied for over two hundred roles without landing a role.

It may be seen as cautious, but my opinion is to hold onto any role you can.....

Comment

Originally posted by RaLaCon View Post
          GS is another one of the banks that are doling out the cuts but it is your choice whether to take it, attempt to negotiate or leave it.........

but if your contract is terminated, it could leave you short of options as things look to be getting worse before they are going to get better.

The wave of job cuts has only led to more workers moving into the freelance market meaning more competition for places. I have been in touch with contractors who have applied for over two hundred roles without landing a role.
          It may be seen as cautious, but my opinion is to hold onto any role you can.....
          This is my experience too. It is even difficult to get feedback from some of the roles AFTER you have spent money and time on interviews yet you would never hear the end of it if you failed to turn up

One ICT is one too many!

Comment

Originally posted by JamJarST View Post
            You could always accept the 15% rate cut in return for 15% less work. If you are doing 37.5 hrs a week for instance you could take off 5.6 hours
            If you're working 37.5 hours a week you aren't working at Goldman Sachs.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
              85% of something is better than 100% of nothing
              That depends how much you are spending on accommodation, transport, etc. Granted it's unlikely he's operating at such a low margin but regardless, it does mean profit drops by more than 15%, possibly a lot more.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Nitrox View Post
                If you're working 37.5 hours a week you aren't working at Goldman Sachs.
                That is not true. Permies defenitely work longer hours here at GS, but not me. I am doing my 40 hours a week and no more. I dont have an illusive bonus at the end of the year to work for and show my loyalty. So no reason to sit there for 10 hours a day.

Comment

Originally posted by gemasp View Post
                  That is not true. Permies defenitely work longer hours here at GS, but not me. I am doing my 40 hours a week and no more. I dont have an illusive bonus at the end of the year to work for and show my loyalty. So no reason to sit there for 10 hours a day.
                  Ah, you got lucky - my contract says 45 hours. The permies certainly work longer than that though.

Comment

Sounds unfortunate, but Im assuming these rates are crazy high in the first place?

Personally I just negotiated a 33% increase, which was amazingly easy, but Im sure my rate is more modest than what Goldman would pay. Apparently they thought I was about to finish, as I had said I wasnt working at all in January next year and this was seen as me intending to walk away.

I also dropped things into the conversation such as "I like new exciting challenges" and "Im quite happy to find out what the market will pay me". No pimp in the way, and I deal direct with the owner of the company and directors.

Comment

The point of a contract is to ensure that both parties know what they are getting into, and so protect them from insecurity while they are supposed to be concentrating on the work. Unless you really are doing your job very badly, there is no justification for a cut like this.

If I were you, I would quit -- even if the agent backed down and reaffirmed the original terms -- simply because no professional should be subject to these kinds of games. I believe it directly affects the quality of people's work, and consequently is bad for the clients as well as the workers.
                      Der going over der to get der der's.

Comment

Working...
                      X