• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice needed: Payment schedules / options

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice needed: Payment schedules / options

Hi all, currently discussing a piece of work for an old client, and I've just been tipped off that it's looking good but they want to "propose" a payment schedule rather than a daily rate. I'd be happy with this (working as a real company, is it an IR35?? etc) however this is a programme of work 18mths+, involving depts in the customer who are renowned for scope change and project delays, add to that the politics involved with this poisoned chalice and the reorg required, i need to protect myself and possibly others i may take in with me.

Having never worked in this manner before, I'm looking for a little guidance. What do i need to consider? How can i make sure I'm protected as the programme manager / lead to ensure scope creep and internal delays dont affect my pocket? I have no issues defining a change process, and any changes should go through my own change review etc. Defining the scope is another issue due to internal politics and the need for me to help them define it.

I have a good relationship with the head of procurement and senior team which is why they're after me back. Do i just be open and discuss the risks? I want to be armed before the conversation so I'm able to discuss with some knowledge...

Anyone done this and experienced something similar?
    I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Just thought, a payment schedule maybe something as simple as payment every 3mths instead of monthly for services rendered.

Is there a good approach for this? I'd want a sum up front i think...

Comment

I think my big concern is that project management is an intangible product, and the outputs, which are tangible, are down to the clients resource to deliver, therefore the full service is not mine to provide. I would fine it hard to accept responsibility for resource for which i have no control, and no priority. Does that make sense?

Would creating a minimum payment schedule with delivery / milestone payments work? How do you mitigate the internal delays that are inevitable?

Comment

Working...
      X