• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Time Keeping

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time Keeping

Hiya,

I'm contracting as managed service at one of the big gov't owned banks. It is my second time here, I was here back in 2008/9 (and before that as a permie).

Recently some miserable scroat reported that I'd not been keeping accurate time, I'd been leaving early and this actually caused the bank to review my invoiced hours.

I'd been getting in well prior to 09:00 and leaving at 15 or 10 to 5:00, so that I stand a fighting chance of getting home to see my family. I also forgo an hour lunch, usually take 30 min. at my desk.

Had a word with my line manager, who warned me that there are lots of envious types on their way out via VR, who feel contractors should work longer hours.

I'm only responsible for working 7.5 hours a day in my contract. The previous agency through which I got the gig last time only had 7.5 hours per day in the contract, there was no start time given. The current agency's contract states however that hours are 8:30 - 17:00.

Surely you aren't obliged to take an hour lunch, no?

the answer is simple, when asked about your time keeping ask them if you the work you are doing is up to the standard they require and in the timescale they wanted it in then that is what you are contracted to do

your a contractor/ resource brought in to do a specific role, 9 to 5 times are not relevant to you as an outside resource only the work and the role are important

Comment

Originally posted by matei View Post
      Hiya,

I'm contracting as managed service at one of the big gov't owned banks. It is my second time here, I was here back in 2008/9 (and before that as a permie).

Recently some miserable scroat reported that I'd not been keeping accurate time, I'd been leaving early and this actually caused the bank to review my invoiced hours.

I'd been getting in well prior to 09:00 and leaving at 15 or 10 to 5:00, so that I stand a fighting chance of getting home to see my family. I also forgo an hour lunch, usually take 30 min. at my desk.

Had a word with my line manager, who warned me that there are lots of envious types on their way out via VR, who feel contractors should work longer hours.

I'm only responsible for working 7.5 hours a day in my contract. The previous agency through which I got the gig last time only had 7.5 hours per day in the contract, there was no start time given. The current agency's contract states however that hours are 8:30 - 17:00.

Surely you aren't obliged to take an hour lunch, no?
      No, 30 minutes is the rule and you, as a director, can choose not to follow it. And yes, within the letter of the contract you are right to do what you're doing.

Politically though. as you've been adivsed, it's really not a smart move to leave early for the sake of 10-15 minutes. Perhaps following the herd until the VR programme closes would be a better idea... Or get in at 08:00 and go at 16:00.

(It's "scrote", by the way, and he's probably looking at being out of a job for Christmas. )
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
        the answer is simple, when asked about your time keeping ask them if you the work you are doing is up to the standard they require and in the timescale they wanted it in then that is what you are contracted to do

your a contractor/ resource brought in to do a specific role, 9 to 5 times are not relevant to you as an outside resource only the work and the role are important
        Wrong wrong wrong...

The OP's line management will be having a very difficult time with th level of cuts they are being forced to make and a seriously teed off workforce. Having a team member playing the "I know my contractual rights" card isn't helping.

Sometimes you have to look at the bigger picture.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Petty but I would be tempted to smile sweetly and stay until five.

Invoice as well, obviously.

Comment

I would take it on the chin and stay the extra 10/15 mins anyway it might serve you well in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              Wrong wrong wrong...

The OP's line management will be having a very difficult time with th level of cuts they are being forced to make and a seriously teed off workforce. Having a team member playing the "I know my contractual rights" card isn't helping.

Sometimes you have to look at the bigger picture.
              correct me if i am wrong but surely being told what time to come in and what time to go is a form of control, i am with everyong else i would suck it up and stay the extra time or come in early but is being told an IR35 pointer

Comment

correct me if i am wrong but surely being told what time to come in and what time to go is a form of control, i am with everyong else i would suck it up and stay the extra time or come in early but is being told an IR35 pointer
                He's not being told when to come and go, merely what effect his current practice is having on the team. So no it is not any kind of a pointer, merely good management.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I'd think that it depends on why you are told those times. If, for example, the building isn't open, or they need a permie to watch over you, then it's not D&C. If it's just because everyone else does, then it probably is.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    I'd think that it depends on why you are told those times. If, for example, the building isn't open, or they need a permie to watch over you, then it's not D&C. If it's just because everyone else does, then it probably is.
                    Exactly, is that not what the OP is saying, a few disgruntled permies have got the hump cos the contractor is more flexible and their telling him to fall in line with the permie workforce.

Comment

Working...
                    X