• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anybody have a list of companies that use SAS in the UK?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody have a list of companies that use SAS in the UK?

Hi,

I wondered if anybody knew of a definitive list of companies in the UK that use SAS?

I spoke to the SAS institute and they said they couldn't give me a list. I have spent a couple of hours yesterday putting together a list of around 50 names using various sources on the internet. I just wondered if anybody, knew of a larger list out there!??!

Also, on another note. SAS learning Edition. Is this essentially the SAS software, but with limited functionalty (i.e only upload 1000 rows)!??!.
    Or is it a point and lick tutorial application!??!. I really need some version of SAS to keep my skills upto date.

Please advise,

Many thanks,

Don't know where you'd get a full list except from SAS.

SAS Learning is full functionality with limited upload.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

have you searched the newsgroups and checked out the email addresses of people asking questions about SAS? That can be useful...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Orginal poster: Why do you want to know?
        The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Thanks for the responses so far

sasguru > I may buy the Learning edition in that case. Is it value for money do you think?

ratewhore > thanks for the tip!!!. Another cool way to find more companies, I will give that a try.

Bagpuss > It seems that every agency that calls me is working from a list of SAS companies. There are certain names that get mentioned all the time, which I have. I know there are many more names that agencies are recruiting for, which they never divulge (I have managed to uncover a few of these last night).

I want to try getting work directly from the client as oppose to going through an agency. I have add a few opportunities ruined by greedy agencies, with companies on my own doorstep - which if I add bothered to do the research I could have got an interview on my own.

SAS is a lucrative skill, and many companies are desperately recuiting people with SAS knowledge at all levels.

Comment

It is very hard to switch between industries though (well unless it's finance to pharms) as the usage is quite differentiated between industries. Then there are alot of roles within the various industries. Most big UK and many small UK companies use SAS. I know many who use it in the Pharma industry, but getting in by cold calling is exceptionally hard. Many companies have PSLs which can be impossible to get around.

What is your experience? If it's limited then a route via perm employment is probably your best bet.
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Sadly, with SAS my experience is indeed limited (1 year). With SAS, I have only been looking for permie positions.

I have loads of VBA Excel /Access, VB6 SQL experience which is where I had got some contracting roles. I wish I could stay doing this, but it seems its not an in demand skill. The opportunities I have had appear to be one-offs not typical of the market. Hence no contract at the moment.

SAS seems to be a more employable skill.

I thought a list of companies would allow me send speculative letters (got to try everything!!).

I hadn't considered the point about different sectors using SAS differently though. I should go away and think this through..
              Last edited by Boolean; 2 May 2006, 14:49.

Comment

Originally posted by Boolean
                Hi,
                I have spent a couple of hours yesterday putting together a list of around 50 names using various sources on the internet. I just wondered if anybody, knew of a larger list out there!??!
                I think u should prove that u are not an agent looking for leads, put ur 50 names on the forum with contact details.

Comment

I think u should prove that u are not an agent looking for leads, put ur 50 names on the forum with contact details.
                  WTF!?! What kind of cheeky crap is this!??!

I am not an agent. Have you even read my posts!?!?!?

Some of them even show some level of IT knowledge (which is tulipload more than any IT agent would display).

Are you an agent!??
                  Last edited by Boolean; 10 May 2006, 19:47.

Comment

Originally posted by NewbieContractor
                    Ahhh, the cunning double bluff, Mr Agent.

Comment

Working...
                    X