• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Typical contractor rates for being on-call

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, team is a mix of permanent staff and contractors. Everyone is expected to take their turn and provide 24/7 cover and refusal to do so would not be taken kindly. It's not like we are incentivised to participate with a decent rate, we are being forced to do so at a crap rate.

Comment

Originally posted by paddytheirishman View Post
      It is true that I can say no, but the consequence of this is probably that I will be threatened with the termination of my contract. They like to play hardball and don't have any value on contractors, we are seen as disposable. I could call their bluff, but with a family and a mortgage I don't want it to get to that.
      Hate to break it to you - you are disposable. That's why the client took on a contractor not a permanent employee.

You either take the sh1t or you don't - it's up to you what you do. If they aren't going to recognize that you can say no to them, then what makes you think that they will pay any attention to what you want to get paid for out of hours work?
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

having done on call for several companies i always look at it from the perspective of what is the frequency of actually being called out. not knowing what you are actually supporting so you might get a few evening type calls, the odd overnight batch issue to sort out, a bit of support/upgrade work on a weekend

it doesn't amount to much tbh, if it does then mention about flexible working hours, take an early finish on a friday etc

manage the client professionally, lets the permies moan about the extra hours, how it messes their social time, winge, wine, moan etc, mop up the slack they dont want and it will soon add up financially

if you in a rotating team, how often are you actually on call?

Get remote access, take the cash and if that annoyed look for another job as you are disposable.

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
          Last time I did it, it was 50% of hourly rate for being on call. Went to full rate if the phone rang with a min charge of two hours when called.
          You saying you got 50% of hourly rate per hour for doing nothing?

Nice work if you can get it.
          Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            Hate to break it to you - you are disposable. That's why the client took on a contractor not a permanent employee.

You either take the sh1t or you don't - it's up to you what you do. If they aren't going to recognize that you can say no to them, then what makes you think that they will pay any attention to what you want to get paid for out of hours work?
            I'm disposable? Well, yes I always knew that! EVERYONE is disposable. Thanks for your insightful and constructive feedback.
            Last edited by paddytheirishman; 10 November 2011, 19:30.

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
              Then id start actively looking for another contract to negotiate from a position of strength. Personally part of the reason Im a contractor is so I dont have to put up with bull tulip.

My other concern for you in this situation is that you would appear to be under direction and control. Do you consider yourself not caught by IR35?
              Yes. This is true and I'm advocating you let yourself be shafted but I agree with OP to a certain extent.

EVERY contract I've ever had, the client, on a day-to-day basis pretty much wants you to fit in with the permies. All they see you as is a resource they can get rid of much easier.

Therefore, rocking the boat, causing a fuss is a sure fire way of getting the boot. Like I said, not saying you should bend over and take it but theres a definite middle ground to find between being shafted and being helpful.

After all, thinking like a business, if a little bit of 'extra' on your behalf gets you another 3 month contract then surely this is good business sense whereas kicking up a fuss and getting no extension is not?
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X