• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's happening?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I enjoy reading this thread as well. It helps to hear from others how they see the market. This is why I am adding my 2 cents here (ok that might be a US euphemism).

I kept aplying on jobserve and three other sites every day for two months. At times I had 20 applications pending; on average always had 5-10. Some good matches, some not so good. August was dead. September: one call, agent misunderstood a keyword. The company name is not equivalent to a skill. So that was a short call.

Then came October. Last week I had a call and I am going to an interview today. Yesterday I got two more calls. Wow!

One of the callers asked me how do I see the market. I told her that I have an interview coming up, and that I am getting more calls now in October. MISTAKE, she cut the call short and told me she will call next week. Bummer! If I get the contract then fine. If I do not, that is not a good start with her. I learned something yesterday.

One of the positions is outside of the UK. One of them is near London. Actually I would prefer the later. I reside in the EU, but not in UK. I am not a "bob", so I am not taking cut rate, I will wait for the right opportunity.

Anyways, this is how market is treating me....
    My mind has gone blank. I wonder if it was always that way.

Comment

Originally posted by istvan View Post
      One of the callers asked me how do I see the market. I told her that I have an interview coming up, and that I am getting more calls now in October. MISTAKE, she cut the call short and told me she will call next week.
      Always give a generic reply: "Oh, the market's ticking along, you know.."

And if asked if you have any interviews lined-up, always a firm: "No, not yet. Waiting to see what comes along, you know..."
      nomadd liked this post

Comment

My main skill-set is network/security and I have to say the market seems good. I accepted one role about 3 weeks back and since then I have turned down 3 interviews, plus rejected numerous perm calls (as per usual).

Good Luck to everyone looking for their next contract.

Comment

Originally posted by bluedrop View Post
          Dear all,
          I've been applying for jobs for 2 weeks now. I got a few calls on day1 and day 2. Sent my cv and have confirmation that it's sent to the client(s). It's with 4 clients now and it's been sitting there for about 8 working days with no feedback.... This is quite unusual for me since my last 2 roles happened within a few days of applying and I had feedback and interviews in 48 hrs. I was always told things happen fast in contracting world...

Can I pls ask you to share your experiences? How long did you wait to hear back from the client? Am I missing something here?
          You say you have been "applying for jobs"? You "have confirmation" that your cv has been sent to clients?

This is a contractors' forum. Contractors don't apply for jobs. Who exactly confirmed that your c.v. has been sent to clients? An agent?

Yes, you are missing something: you are assuming that because you have submitted your c.v. - presumably to an agency - it has concomitantly been submitted to a client.

There is something very disingenuous about your posts.

Comment

Originally posted by helpFul View Post
            There is something very disingenuous about your posts.
            Not everyone on here is an experienced contractor, or has other contractors as family and friends to talk to. This means they get worried about things that don't bother other people.

Oh and if you want a long thread about looking for roles there is one by Richard Cranium......
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Contractors don't apply for jobs.
              I apply for jobs that happen to be contracts rather than permanent employment.

Comment

Contractors don't apply for jobs.
                Eh? How do they find jobs then?
                Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
                X