• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What are the best agents?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are the best agents?

This week, I have applied to several contract roles on Cwjobs, Jobserve, jobsite and even on some agents' websites directly, but not a single reply.
    I'm starting to wonder if applying online is worth it, or does my application just land on a black box?
    Which agents' websites are serious (ie. really check the applications they receive)?

Having been there recently I'd suggest you look at your CV to see if it has "impact"... agent's generally are salesmen and sometimes their technical knowledge is "light" so your CV needs to shout out the key triggers for the role...
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic

Comment

I'd say for some, it's non-existent, especially if they are employed solely to schmooze us contractors.

One poor lady asked me once to rate myself on a scale of 1 to 5 for Java.

When I asked which part of Java, given it's such a broad range, plus so many other skills around it, she could only reply "it says Java on the screen...".

So for that kinda of agent who is vetting the CVs, then the CV really needs to have the dreaded buzzwords which make it stand out - not so much technology, but the flimflam that makes it sound like your mundane previous roles were in fact attempts to cure cancer...

Comment

An online application followed up with a prompt call directly to the agent is a good idea.

Agents I would happily recommend, Modis Intl, Ikas Intl, Thomson Keene.
        Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Cheers for the feedback and the recommendations!

Comment

Premier Group, Badenoch & Clark plus another for Modis. All very professional, and no BS.
            +50 Xeno Geek Points
            Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
            As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by calder View Post
              This week, I have applied to several contract roles on Cwjobs, Jobserve, jobsite and even on some agents' websites directly, but not a single reply.
              I'm starting to wonder if applying online is worth it, or does my application just land on a black box?
              Which agents' websites are serious (ie. really check the applications they receive)?
              8 out of 10 times, roles on jobsites either dont exist or, the agent has already got their 3 cv's to send to the client.

You need to be speaking to agents. If agents aren't speaking to you, change your cv layout and content.

IMO, there's no such thing as the best agencies.
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

I have just had a e-mail exchange with an agent about a "job" on one of the job boards -

me - (after having had zero response) Did this vacancy actually exist or were you just trawling for CVs ?

Agent -
                The vacancy does exist in that we have been advised by our client to look for people with Peoplesoft skills.

The client is *****– they are already recruiting on a large scale for Oracle people across the EBS from analyst to programme manager level and all in between - this includes PS.

We are waiting for the new specs involving PS and have been assured that they will be with us in the next week.

For your information, I have included an Oracle spec which is similar to what we expect the PS role to look like.

Have you ever applied to *******?

Happy to discuss over the phone if you can suggest a good time?

WTF do these people actually muck about at - have they got a flippin gig for me or not? - clearly not in this case so why waste everyone's time. Surely they could make more cash by only advertising roles they have and then talking to people who can do them.

Comment

My only advice is aim low to avoid disappointment, I consider a good agent someone with the nonuse to google most of the acronyms they don't understand in the job spec they get from a ClientCo
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post

WTF do these people actually muck about at - have they got a flippin gig for me or not? - clearly not in this case so why waste everyone's time. Surely they could make more cash by only advertising roles they have and then talking to people who can do them.
                    They muck you around.

Well not all of them but most of them.

They will only have a role for you once you are safely in a contract elsewhere that has been extended.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X