• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agent bluffing on rate or doesn't actually know?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agent bluffing on rate or doesn't actually know?

Hi all,

An agency account manager called to discuss a contract that I'm about to be offered, the subject of the rate came up.

I asked for a rate at the high end of what was being paid last time I was at client co, several years ago, £100 than I was getting last time.

The account manager on the phone didn't flat out refuse, he claimed that he didn't know the rate either but that it seemed to be in the same ballpark as what other people he placed there were getting.

He said that he'd get back to me after checking with the client, and added that he just wanted to be sure, no sense in going in with too high of a rate. Fair enough...

Not having gone through this before myself - I'm not sure if he is bluffing or not. Surely the agency would know what the rate is, no?

Originally posted by matei View Post
    Hi all,

An agency account manager called to discuss a contract that I'm about to be offered, the subject of the rate came up.

I asked for a rate at the high end of what was being paid last time I was at client co, several years ago, £100 than I was getting last time.

The account manager on the phone didn't flat out refuse, he claimed that he didn't know the rate either but that it seemed to be in the same ballpark as what other people he placed there were getting.

He said that he'd get back to me after checking with the client, and added that he just wanted to be sure, no sense in going in with too high of a rate. Fair enough...

Not having gone through this before myself - I'm not sure if he is bluffing or not. Surely the agency would know what the rate is, no?
    That sounds to me like there isn't a definate contract position at the client co yet and that the agent is just getting you lined up in case the position becomes definate. I have had that before, one of the agents I work with is quite up front about it and will phone me to say that something might be coming up at such and such client and if it does can he put me in for it.

Comment

Thanks for the response.

I'll wait and see how this plays out. I was contacted by the clientco manager directly, to see if I would be interested/available, so it looks good (touch wood).

I just want to avoid scaring clientco away with exorbitant demands, however at the same time I want to get the most I can rate-wise.

Comment

I'm not sure if he is bluffing or not. Surely the agency would know what the rate is, no?
        No, I don't think the client is even sure what the rate is. If you ask a plumber to give you a quote on a job and he asks how much you will pay, you aren't going to give him a straight answer are you. You check out who's available and decide who you will engage to do the work. It may not be the cheapest one either, you will choose the one who's the best fit for the job.
        Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Hi all,

This is just poor qualification. Or good qualification, underpinned by a client who doesn't know their budget (happens ALL the time) - Personally, I won't work a job until I know the budget (avoids clients who can't cope with the figures involved in contracting) - yes, I lose the odd opportunity which you have to be "in it to win it" - but it also cuts out the uncertainty, and doesn't lead to the arguments which most people seem to engineer for themselves on this board about rates being lower than advertised etc.
          "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
          SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

Working...
          X