• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract Termination

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by simplicity View Post
    I too see contracting as an excellent way to gain new skills, I enjoy the thrill. I think to succeed you need to be "blendable" with the ability to mould in to any environment.

I must say the responses in this forum can be rather harsh at times and I tend to view post now rather than start new threads. At times the responses have an intimidating feel which can be daunting for new members who are seeking advice on issues important to them.
    I would say its not harsh enough, too many contractors seem to treat contracting as a permie job with more pay. Since the recession this has got even more noticable.
    The OP is a case in point, complaining that after 3 weeks she's had no training. She has the right idea in that contracting is a good way to get new skills and experiences but the resources, drive and leadership for that need to come from yourself, even if its just buying a book and spending a few evenings a week learning the stuff at home.

The only thing the client ever owes you is payment for the time you've spent working for them (and any expenses incurred depending on the contract).
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
      I would say its not harsh enough, too many contractors seem to treat contracting as a permie job with more pay. Since the recession this has got even more noticable.
      The OP is a case in point, complaining that after 3 weeks she's had no training. She has the right idea in that contracting is a good way to get new skills and experiences but the resources, drive and leadership for that need to come from yourself, even if its just buying a book and spending a few evenings a week learning the stuff at home.

The only thing the client ever owes you is payment for the time you've spent working for them (and any expenses incurred depending on the contract).
      The OP did not assert that they are a bona-fide contractor.
      The client obviously never wanted a bona-fide contractor. They wanted a test drive of a permie.
      If the client wanted a contractor they would have simply stated contractor role for 6 months. Not Contract role for 6 months with progression to permanent employment.
      No contractor I ever met would go for a role like that. A permie looking for a permie role would.
      Additionally I did not state that I thought that the OP should be paid for time they have not worked, because I do not think they should.

Comment

I read the original post as a troll to be brutally honest.

But it's incorrect to say you don't learn things. Even if you've niche skills, different clients could well use different aspects of those skills in different ways.

Something like Java as well is a pretty broad range as well, especially factoring in other linked technologies. pretty much every cotnract I've been is have used different areas, so I've gained experience more broadly.
        Even of JSP, which I f***ing despise with all my body... fiddly web monkey stuff...

I'd however agree that "learning new skills" shouldn't be the primary reason to contract tho.
        Last edited by perplexed; 16 August 2011, 13:29.

Comment

Originally posted by perplexed View Post
          But it's incorrect to say you don't learn things. Even if you've niche skills, different clients could well use different aspects of those skills in different ways.
          I will concede this one then. It was based on reading the OP's explaination and to me it is because they were stuck in job going nowhere and looking to learn stuff and change roles to something better. We could continue to argue this type of role changing is difficult in contracting where as adding extra useful skills to your core is but I appear to be wrong. I am not techie so maybe skilling up is different.

Coffee's are on me.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I too see contracting as an excellent way to gain new skills, I enjoy the thrill. I think to succeed you need to be "blendable" with the ability to mould in to any environment.

I must say the responses in this forum can be rather harsh at times and I tend to view post now rather than start new threads. At times the responses have an intimidating feel which can be daunting for new members who are seeking advice on issues important to them.
            I agree and generally won't post anymore

Comment

Now where do I remember your name from... ah yes... one of my fave gems...

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...ach-month.html
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X