• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Choosing domain extension

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choosing domain extension

I would like to 'ask the audience' about what they would choose as a domain extension, given that .co.uk and .com are already taken for my business name - specifically, would myco.biz sound/look/feel better than myco.net ?

Originally posted by Clavdivs
    I would like to 'ask the audience' about what they would choose as a domain extension, given that .co.uk and .com are already taken for my business name - specifically, would myco.biz sound/look/feel better than myco.net ?
    I think you need to obtain a set otherwise if you are successful you would be easy to copy. I went for .co.uk + .com + .eu and then have a Trademark for the name.

Comment

A different domain name! All the other b-wise extensions are hideously naff!

.org isn't too bad I suppose

Comment

Change company name to one that matches an advialible domain!!!

As said above the .biz and all the rest are "naff" and probably will remain so for a long long time

Try abriviations or even adding to the domain name to "match" it to the company name, mycompany.com might be taken but mycompanyltd.com or mycompanylimited.com might not be

.org isn't too bad I suppose
        Honestly any comercial company i find activly useing that extension (rather than just holding it and useing it to point to proper site) i tend to advoid, it is after all meant to be just for charities and not for profit groups
        Last edited by Not So Wise; 5 April 2006, 11:39.

Comment

A simple lesson learner: get the domain sorted before you set up the company, then you can chose a company name to fit the domain, much easier than the other way round.
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Agreed about the lesson, but the website supplements the business, not the other way round, so I guess I have to put up with the least naff, and I'll probably register as many as I can, although .org smells of charity work and I don't want anyone thinking that.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac
              A simple lesson learner: get the domain sorted before you set up the company, then you can chose a company name to fit the domain, much easier than the other way round.
              I did that and then put off registering the Ltd Co for a while because I didn't need it yet. Somebody then went and registered xxxxx Ltd AND xxxxx IT Services Ltd!

Suppose I could offer to sell them the domain....

Comment

I registered a .co.uk and .com about 10 years ago, and always thought that if one day I had my own company that would be the name I'd use. And now I have. Someone else has nabbed the .org, but that doesn't matter. If you want to sell UK only, then .co.uk is good, and if you want to sell internationally .com is the one to have, but everything else is a bit of a waste of time IMO.

I guess I always hoped somebody would come forward and want to pay me a million pounds for it, but it's never happened.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

.ltd.uk is restricted to the Ltd co registrant.

A little less naff.

Comment

What about .net, tis truly the king of TLD's if your .com option has been nicked already.

Comment

Working...
                    X