• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Registering

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Registering

Who actually physically goes in to 'register' with agents these days? For the contracts I've had I've never met the agents let alone register. It seems white an old fashioned thing to do. Is it a way for them to get reference info out of you, or legitimate practice to get your passport details etc before they put you forward for a role?

It's to try and get reference details off you.

The only people who need to register are temps as they are employed via the agency.

If the agency wants your passport they will meet with you after you have a contract.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      It's to try and get reference details off you.

The only people who need to register are temps as they are employed via the agency.

If the agency wants your passport they will meet with you after you have a contract.
      How about "screening interview"?

If every contractor had to go in and "sign up" no one would get any work done. Thanks for answering my question!

Comment

Originally posted by inferno View Post
        How about "screening interview"?
        Agencies use to do that to check that you would turn up to the interview dressed decently. Now it's to get "references" out of you.

Though the trick is is to design your references to be truthful but useless for the agency i.e. client people who have moved on, other contractors.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

In situations where the agent claims they must have your references (and they tell you that they MUST have references as their client insists ) I'll say that the previous line managers have been made redundant - works every time!

I agree that it's the temps who go into the high street agencies,

Comment

Working...
          X